Thread: Can we backup zimbra don't need to stop server?

dalmate is offline Elite Member

Default Can we backup zimbra don't need to stop server?

In mdaemon, exchange, we used "Networker server" to backup our server, didn't need to stop it. Now I think if we do the same with zimbra server.
    I found a program, backupPC, which can use for backup server linux(I think it can backups when server still runs). But I've not try it yet. Anyone has an idea for this solution? Because, I think with a server the important thing is must always online, but with zimbra FOSS edition we must stop it (too bad)
    I'll try it and report to here

phoenix is offline Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by dalmate View Post
    In mdaemon, exchange, we used "Networker server" to backup our server, didn't need to stop it. Now I think if we do the same with zimbra server.
    I found a program, backupPC, which can use for backup server linux(I think it can backups when server still runs). But I've not try it yet. Anyone has an idea for this solution? Because, I think with a server the important thing is must always online, but with zimbra FOSS edition we must stop it (too bad)
    I'll try it and report to here
    In order to ensure that Zimbra (Open Source) is in a consistent state for a restore you must shutdown Zimbra during the backup, using a third party application is likely to leave you with a backup that's not usable.
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

I tried in a test server, zimbra still run, I use this command:
    rsync -avrlHKpogDt /opt/zimbra/ /backup/zimbra_bak_Sep_09_2006_17_56
    and stop zimbra server --> I deleted /opt
    then later, I resync backup file to /opt --> zmfixperms --> start server, every thing is ok (don't know why, but it's a good infor)
    I think if we can do with exchange and mdaemon, why we can't do with zimbra

phoenix is offline Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

... then later, I resync backup file to /opt --> zmfixperms --> start server, every thing is ok (don't know why, but it's a good infor)
    You were lucky. If you want to trust your important email (I assume it's important to you?) to that procedure then feel free to carry on doing it, one day you'll encounter a problem - believe me it will happen when you try a restore.

I think if we can do with exchange and mdaemon, why we can't do with zimbra
    They are both free products are they? You can do it with ZImbra in the Network Edition, that's one of the features you pay for. The main reason it's a problem is that you can not guarantee the database (for one) will be in a consistent state. If backing up a MySQL database was that easy don't you think everyone would do it.
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

They are both free products are they? You can do it with ZImbra in the Network Edition, that's one of the features you pay for. The main reason it's a problem is that you can not guarantee the database (for one) will be in a consistent state. If backing up a MySQL database was that easy don't you think everyone would do it
    Yes, I agree with you that they're commercial version so they have a good backup solution. But in the fact that, we don't use their solutions, we used SAN architech and Networker app ==> and with them we can hot backup, do not need to stop server.
    And so the first I want to know: Why we must stop server? If I dont stop, which component is influenced?
    srr about this question but I think in our forum, we have a lot of backup solution, but with these-ldap backup, mysql backup- is too pain

ArcaneMagus is offline Moderator

Those external apps simply used the functionality in those products to backup while they were running. This same type of functionality is in the Network Edition of Zimbra, but is not in the community edition. The fact of the matter is you either have live backups with the paid Network Edition, or you have cold backups with the Open Source edition.

As phoenix said, if you want to try your luck with a live backup of the open source edition have fun, but do not complain when you need to recover from it and it doesn't work. The MySQL and LDAP databases are just part of the problem with taking a live backup of the Zimbra server. There are quite a few other threads in the forum discussing this topic that you should have read before posting this issue.

raj
    raj is offline Moderator

you can read the "most read" thread on zimbra fourms..i started this 4 years back
    Full Server Backup and Restore of “open source version”

Raj
    i2k2 Networks
    Dedicated & Shared Zimbra Hosting Provider

Thread Information