Thread: Thunderbird/ Secure Authentication

jld1989 is offline Junior Member

Default Thunderbird/ Secure Authentication

Hi, I just installed Zimbra. Installed a self signed certificate and am now looking to enable secure authentication. I looked through the administration console and did not see anything that would allow this. My question is does Zimbra support secure authentication and if so how do you configure it?

ArcaneMagus is offline Moderator

Administration Console -> Global Settings -> IMAP or POP tab -> Enable SSL for _____ service

Is that what you were looking for?

jld1989 is offline Junior Member

No it's not. I have that enabled for both. Within thunderbird you have the option for secure authentication. If you enable it and then try to access your mail it will report that the mail server does not support secure authentication. I am wondering if there is a way to enable this on zimbra or if this is just not supported.

phoenix is offline Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by jld1989 View Post
    No it's not. I have that enabled for both. Within thunderbird you have the option for secure authentication. If you enable it and then try to access your mail it will report that the mail server does not support secure authentication. I am wondering if there is a way to enable this on zimbra or if this is just not supported.
    Yes, of course it's supported and works perfectly well. How about telling us which setting you've enabled in Thunderbird (including the port used) and what errors you see and you will need the setting mentioned above - unless you're talking about something different in which case please describe what you mean.
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

ArcaneMagus is offline Moderator

Ah ok I know what option you are talking about. On this site it says that Thunderbird "supports GSSAPI, Kerberos, CRAM_MD5, DIGEST-MD5, NTLM, and APOP. NTLM is also called Secure Password Authentication (SPA) or Windows Integrated Login." methods for Secure Authentication.

And no Zimbra doesn't seem to support it... at least my system doesn't. There are a few other threads about this on the forum.
    This one seems to have the most detailed discussion that I found: ssl and secure authentication in thunderbird
    This one might have a way to enable it: Secure MTA connection with authentication

Basically the only difference that Secure Authentication would make is you could enable Secure Authentication and then disable SSL, so the authentication would be secured but mailbox access would be insecure. As long as you have enabled SSL your entire connection is already secure.

Thread Information