Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: [SOLVED] My zimbra server is under spamming attack.

Crispin is offline Junior Member

Quote Originally Posted by ght View Post
    Oh, Thanks, Many tasks you've suggested and After applying some of them,I will write the result here.
    But about upgrading, I scare that all mails maybe delete. Is upgrading painless?
    As I'm using community edition, is there possibelity to getting backup from everything, but painless and easy to perform?
    I've made many upgrades with the NE and everything goes fine, the only problem is the slapd.conf.in that it's rewrited on every upgrade, the order things are ok, no mails deletes, no accounts delete. But it's a good idea you make a backup before, this is the first action of a good system administrator ;-)

Good luck!

ArcaneMagus is offline Moderator

There are many threads on the forum detailing how to make a backup on community edition, Open Source Edition Backup Procedure - Zimbra :: Wiki has a lot of the best information brought together. A very simple way to do it is to just shutdown the zimbra services, copy /opt/zimbra to say /opt/zimbra-backup and then run your upgrade.
    As long as you are doing an upgrade install all user mail and settings will be migrated, but a lot of manual customizations need to be redone after an upgrade (like changes to slapd.conf)

uxbod is offline Moderator

We would be grateful if any further posts about upgrades etc would be via a new thread ... does not quite fit with the OP's original thread post

ght
    ght is offline Member

Thumbs up

Thanks Community, this is the power of OpenSource.
    I think my problem is solved, and I came here to say what was the problem and some hints that may help someone.

First of all, I want to say I think the problem was because my mail server was an open relay. But zimbra is not an open relay by default. it was open relay because of my mistake in configuring it and get my MTA trust a range of IPs that my firewall was in it. I used something like : 192.168.1.0/24 , but I should only trust those servers that I wanted be able to send mail, you should add them in this way : 192.168.1.55/32

For those people that are under attack and they don't know what is the problem, I suggest a trick. this trick may delete some non-spam emails, but for but it will be so good to have time to find the problem, without people's complain about mail server.

I used this script and added it in my crontab to delete all mails are similar to spam.
    you can logged in as root and do these:

Code:
    crontab -e
    then add this line (replace path with your postfix path and "domain.com" with a part in sender/receiver email, for example if spammers send from sub1.domain1.com, sub2.domain1.com, you can only put domain1.com to delete all mails from or to this domain) to the end of the file, save and exit:

Code:
    * * * * * /opt/zimbra/postfix-2.4.7.5z/sbin/mailq | tail -n +2 | grep -v '^ *(' | gawk 'BEGIN {RS = ""} /domain.com/ {print $1}' | tr -d '*!' | /opt/zimbra/postfix-2.4.7.5z/sbin/postsuper -d - >& /home/queue.log
    this trick will help you to delete all of them in queue and don't let spammers kill your server.

I hope this help someone.

uxbod is offline Moderator

Hmmm ... as you say that could delete legitimate emails aswell. Why not just use Wiki :: Postfix Blacklists which are more suitable.

ght
    ght is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by uxbod View Post
    Hmmm ... as you say that could delete legitimate emails aswell. Why not just use Wiki :: Postfix Blacklists which are more suitable.
    only because of time matters, you are right. I have lots of administration tasks

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information