Thread: Contact's "business" e-mail address is useless?

tkosig is offline Member

Question Contact's "business" e-mail address is useless?

Hi everyone,

I've also filed a support request for this but I was wondering, while the Zimbra engineers are looking into it - has anyone else experienced this behaviour:

We initially installed 5.0.18 but recently updated to 6.0.1. Since then my users have been complaining that the auto-complete function when filling in the receipients of an e-mail (TO field) does not work properly anymore.

Through testing on my own account I was able to establish that new contacts created with just a "business" e-mail address will not show up during the auto-complete process or when clicking on the TO button in the compose e-mail screen. Also the auto-complete feature will just search last name and e-mail address for matches but not the first name.
    I'd be grateful for any reply. I'm quite puzzled that creating a contact with just an e-mail address tagged "business" doesn't show up in the system at all (neither auto-complete nor when clicking the TO button in compose view). In fact those e-mail addresses tagged as "business" are completely ignored throughout ZCS.

Mike Scholes is offline Advanced Member

My testing confirms this is right, contacts with just a first name and contacts with just a business email address don't auto-complete and can't be found under the "To" dialog box search. Have to say for a business system not being able to auto-complete or search the business email is a bit of a clanger.
    Last edited by Mike Scholes; 09-21-2009 at 12:58 PM.

tkosig is offline Member

Mike, I definitely agree. It seems like the changeover to the new address book layout/functionality comes fairly untested? At least I've found yet another bug - which IMHO is even more grave since it involves deleting user data:

Zimbra can actually delete user data when you update a contact from the standard HTML gui.

1. Create a contact in AJAX gui with both work and home e-mail address.
    2. Switch to HTML gui and add a phone number to the contact. Save.
    3. Go back to AJAX gui --> the work e-mail address is GONE
    We're using Zimbra in a business environment and I'm getting a lot of odd looks when I tell users that they can't create their business contacts so that they have "work" e-mail addresses. I hope this gets resolved very soon.

phoenix is offline Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by tkosig View Post
    I hope this gets resolved very soon.
    It won't without a bug report being filed, search bugzilla to see if it's already there and vote on it or if it's not then file a report.
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

tkosig is offline Member

Hi Bill,

I know it won't get resolved without a bug report. Since I've already filed a support case for this issue I'll let the Zimbra engineer file the bug(s) if necessary to avoid creating duplicates in Zimbra's bugzilla database.

Best regards,
    Timo

FOXIT is offline Starter Member

This has been filed as Bug 41144.

Thread Information