Thread: License count problem

Baylink is offline Elite Member

Angry License count problem

I guess I'll ask this here (after a long spell of not needing to ask anything here :-), since Z and me seem to differ on what's a chargable support inquiry -- and indeed, this issue is one of the calls on which I think we differ (something I'll take up through channels when the west coast wakes up today).

We're licensed for 75 seats; 25 "pro" and 50 standard.

My Accounts page in admin currently says 77 -- I just deleted the one account which was created and never used, because it *did* say 78 -- and I needed to create an account, and it told me I was busting my license.

*Support* told one of my guys, when he called them and they charged us for a support call, that Admin, Ham, Spam, and Wiki were *not* chargeable license slots. If that's true, the first time I should get an error is when the counter reads 79... but I got it at 78, and -- worse -- when I deleted that one account, and tried to create the user on top of *77* mailboxes, that failed too.

So... what is the *actual* answer?

Are Admin, Wiki, Ham, and Spam *all* non-license accounts, as we were told? And if not, why not? Either way, whom to I talk to about getting that call back from the Support people, since clearly the answer they charged us for was not *correct*? :-)
    Jay R. Ashworth - ZCS 6.0.9CE/CentOS5 - St Pete FL US - Music - Blog - Photography - IANAL - IAAMA
    Try to Ask Questions The Smart Way -- you'll get better answers.

Put your product and version in your profile/signature - All opinions strictly my own, even though I have an employer these days.
    If you [SOLVE] something, please tell everyone how for the archives
    And, please... read what people write, and answer the questions they asked, not the ones they didn't.

I did find something in another thread that suggested there was a timeout/restart the server bug on license counting; is that likely to be my problem here?
    Last edited by Baylink; 09-14-2009 at 06:10 AM.
    Jay R. Ashworth - ZCS 6.0.9CE/CentOS5 - St Pete FL US - Music - Blog - Photography - IANAL - IAAMA

Put your product and version in your profile/signature - All opinions strictly my own, even though I have an employer these days.
    And, please... read what people write, and answer the questions they asked, not the ones they didn't.

phoenix is offline Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

Your Admin account will count in the licence, it's 'real' accounts that matter and the admin account is a real account: Ajcody-Server-Topics - Zimbra :: Wiki
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

veronica is offline Outstanding Member

Users that dont count against license are : -

Resources, domain wiki, spam, and ham accounts

Hmmm. My guy was pretty sure they told him admin didn't count either, but as long as I know, I'm ok.

Followup question: does there need to exist an actual account named admin for Zimbra not to become unhappy? Or is it merely necessary that at least one user account *have* admin privs?

sugiggs is offline Loyal Member

At least one account with admin privilege is needed and it doesnt have to be named "admin@domain.com"

Quote Originally Posted by Baylink View Post
    Hmmm. My guy was pretty sure they told him admin didn't count either, but as long as I know, I'm ok.

Followup question: does there need to exist an actual account named admin for Zimbra not to become unhappy? Or is it merely necessary that at least one user account *have* admin privs?

veronica is offline Outstanding Member

That's the account which system creates during installation. You can change it to whatever user you like.

Outstanding. After a build up and a draw down, I now have spare licenses coming out my ears, but if/when I get tight again, that'll be good to know.

Does anyone know what happens if you inadvertantly delete your last remaining admin account? :-)

phoenix is offline Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Baylink View Post
    Does anyone know what happens if you inadvertantly delete your last remaining admin account? :-)
    You can give admin permissions to any account via the CLI.
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

Thread Information