Thread: Zimbra vs. Kerio

EmailGod is offline Starter Member

Default Zimbra vs. Kerio

Sorry to make my first post controversial (potentially), but I am just starting to evaluate products from both vendors and I was wondering if anyone has had real world experience with both? My goal is to move from Exchange 5.5 to something on Macintosh. Any insight would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

By the way, we are a smallish (28 email users) nonprofit and trying to save money by not going Exchange 2003.

gmsmith is offline Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by EmailGod
    Sorry to make my first post controversial (potentially), but I am just starting to evaluate products from both vendors and I was wondering if anyone has had real world experience with both? My goal is to move from Exchange 5.5 to something on Macintosh. Any insight would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

By the way, we are a smallish (28 email users) nonprofit and trying to save money by not going Exchange 2003.
    I could spend DAYS on this topic...I have a client who has Kerio installed (and has since the early days of version 6). It has been okay, but when there is a problem, it is PAINFUL. The current issue is that it decides to send mail down to entourage clients whenever it feels like. So people could be going for hours from the time a message is received to the time the message pops up in Entourage. Then there was the SSL related issue that they tried to blame on MS that turned out to be an issue in their software, but it literally took weeks for them to accept it. This client is all Mac, about 20 users and about 28 email accounts.

Zimbra is far and away a better product despite the fact it is still developing. I see a much better road map and approach from the company. They take more of an BMW approach then a Ford approach to developing the package (Ford being, we will make it you will like it, BMW being we will make it, take your feedback and remake it). The application has a great web UI and can easily be integrated with other apps. I feel that calendering in Zimbra is more mature in many ways then calendaring in Kerio. And the wireless roadmap is very good.

I was a reseller for Kerio, I have sinced stopped selling Kerio because of the mysterious bugs that pop up and am working with Zimbra (both Network and Open sourced editions).

mbeckman is offline New Member

Default Entourage problems due to entourage timeout sensitivity

Regarding your problem with Entrourage users not getting their mail -- this behavior happened even with legitimate MS Exchange servers. Entourage was simply too picky about timelyness of responses, stopping communication even if the SSL session was still up in the event the server didn't respond with 500 ms or so (that's half a second!). Microsoft reduced the problem it in the most recent Entourage 2004 update, but they still haven't fixed it completely. If Entourage doesn't get an answer to an SSL subquery within a couple of seconds, it goes brain dead and won't communicated anymore. You must relaunch Entourage to get arround this.

-mel

gmsmith is offline Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by mbeckman
    Regarding your problem with Entrourage users not getting their mail -- this behavior happened even with legitimate MS Exchange servers. Entourage was simply too picky about timelyness of responses, stopping communication even if the SSL session was still up in the event the server didn't respond with 500 ms or so (that's half a second!). Microsoft reduced the problem it in the most recent Entourage 2004 update, but they still haven't fixed it completely. If Entourage doesn't get an answer to an SSL subquery within a couple of seconds, it goes brain dead and won't communicated anymore. You must relaunch Entourage to get arround this.

-mel
    Thanks for the feedback, I never saw the issue with an actual Exchange account, only with Kerio.

tyco is offline Senior Member

Default stalker vr. zimbra

beeing very new to zimbra and have used communigate pro from stalker since 10 years i have some pros and cons about zimbra:

stalker:
    + easy to manage
    + all in one package
    + sip built in
    + prefromace recources used on host
    + filesystem only concept. no database -> no special backup procedure.
    ? flash web client, never used it
    – no spam filtering included
    – no apple contact sync services (windows only over mapi)
    – no attachment indexing or content indexing like zimbra

nice server very low maintenance, but i dont wonna pay for groupware features i cannot use on my mac.

zimbra:
    + isync connecter
    + mapi connector
    + very feature rich web interface
    – very slow web client performace especially on mac (there should be a second low bandwith web client)
    - coming form stalker zimbra is more copmlicated to administrer. but that might be cause i am used to stalker.

any addons?

KevinH is offline Expert Member

Quote Originally Posted by tyco
    (there should be a second low bandwith web client)
    This is in the works.
    Looking for new beta users -> Co-Founder of Acompli. Previously worked at Zimbra (and Yahoo! & VMware) since 2005.

ComputerX is offline Junior Member

Quote Originally Posted by tyco
    beeing very new to zimbra and have used communigate pro from stalker since 10 years i have some pros and cons about zimbra:
    Can you comment on the relative resource usage?

I am also starting to look at a replacement for Communigate, for the same reason, and my first step would be to switch my personal mail server over. I'm not sure my pokey old server will handle it.

Dan

Quote Originally Posted by ComputerX
    Can you comment on the relative resource usage?

I am also starting to look at a replacement for Communigate, for the same reason, and my first step would be to switch my personal mail server over. I'm not sure my pokey old server will handle it.

Dan
    well you can run a communigate pro isntallation on a old g4 mac with 512 ram.

for zimbra you will need something way more powerful. abut again zimbra is a totally different product.
    i use it on a hp dualcore amd in vmware with 1.3 gb ram. and i have the feeling i need more power and ram.

my box:
    Name : AMD Opteron
    Stepping : 2
    Speed : 2200 MHz
    Level2 Cache : 1024 KBytes
    Ram: 3GB

during imapsyncing i realized that communigate running in a 512 mb vmware was way faster. but again zimbra does way more than stalker. using 4.0.2

stalker offers aditional sip services and new a flash webclient which looks like outlook. honestly, which mac users wants a flash webclient with aim built in since there is mail/ichat/ical....

the only drawback right now with zimbra compared to stlaker is that you kind of need to understand each packages zimbra uses. communigate is a very streight forward, easy to understand, all in one and reliable product way less complicated for nonadmins that me to manage than zimbra, but i am getting there.

i would love to cee the following in zimbra for mac users coming from communigate:
    - a less performance hungry (on the client) webmail like roundcube
    - attachmend indexing on macosx installation
    - mailbox sharing with acl
    - caldav support, since apple leopard server and ical will support nativ caldav.

christof

Default low performace client

thanx for the new webclient in 4.5

Thread Information