Thread: sending mail to root with a sub-domain

neildomo is offline Member

Default sending mail to root with a sub-domain

-I have 3 zimbra servers: zimbra.domain.com, zimbra2.sub.domain.com, and -zimbra3.sub.domain.com.
    -zimbra.domain.com is a proxy.
    -emails are of the form: admin@domain.com.
    -We also have a pair of sendmail servers that can forward user's mail to the zimbra servers.

Right now I have cronjobs that send mail to root, which ends up as root@zimbra2.sub.domain.com. This is getting forwarded to one of the sendmail servers, which promptly sends it back to zimbra2.sub.domain.com, which promptly sends it back to the sendmail server...etc, until I get "too many hops".
    -I tried creating an alias in zimbra such that email for root@zimbra2.sub.domain.com would go to admin@domain.com, but it gives me a "no such domain" error.
    -I tried looking up how to change the outgoing sender email address, but /opt/zimbra/postfix/conf/main.cf is pointing at an ldap config file for sender_canonical_maps, so I'm not sure what goes on beyond that.
    -both zimbra2.sub and zimbra3.sub have the same issues. zimbra.domain.com knows right away that it's supposed to send mail to admin@domain.com, and delivers the mail locally.
    -I have to live with the sendmail servers, and most of the time it's not an issue.

How can I get mail originally sent to root to end up in the admin@domain.com mailbox on the mail zimbra server?

Thanks,
    Neil

dunkirk is offline Active Member

Crap. I just stumbled on this myself, and after working on it for a couple hours, I still don't know the answer.

My situation is that I have an internal network (network.xyz), and mail getting sent from cron jobs gets addressed to the machine (root@zimbra-server.network.xyz).

I've tried editing /etc/aliases (and running `newaliases') to point root at "admin@network.xyz", but I guess Zimbra postfix doesn't look at it. (There aren't any other alias files, so I guess that Zimbra keeps track of it all in LDAP.) So when I send mail to root, it immediately gets sent out to my main relay, which drops it as an invalid domain (which it is).

If I could just find a way to get the Zimbra server to know that it's the destination for zimbra-server.network.xyz, I think I'd be fine. But I can't find the right setting to fool with in order to test that theory.
    Last edited by dunkirk; 04-01-2010 at 10:26 AM.

dunkirk is offline Active Member

I got it sorted out for my particular example. Maybe this will help someone else. I drew on previous Postfix experience and searched for "zimbra mydestination" and found this: [SOLVED] Postfix configuration - mydestination

I added zimbra-server.network.xyz to my postfix myDesitinations by:

zmprov ms zimbra-server.network.xyz zimbraMtaMyDestination 'localhost zimbra-server.network.xyz'

What I discovered was that my Zimbra server started paying attention to my local /etc/aliases file. (Remember to update /etc/aliases.db with "/opt/zimbra/postfix-2.6.5.2z/sbin/newaliases".) So now mail for "root@zimbra-server.network.xyz" gets delivered locally after passing through the aliases... root -> local user and local user -> admin@network.xyz.

Thread Information