Thread: problems with split domain/dns setup

xkill911 is offline Intermediate Member

Default problems with split domain/dns setup

hello all. I'm looking into Zimbra as a replacement for our current email setup which is external hosted imap server.

let me also say that this is my first journey into Linux and setting up a mail server.

Im running Release 5.0.18_GA_3011.UBUNTU8 UBUNTU8 FOSS edition on Ubuntu Server 8.04 LTS

I followed the wiki: Ubuntu 8.04 LTS Server (Hardy Heron) Install Guide - Zimbra :: Wiki

my first question is about Bind9. if i understand correctly. I need that to make dns work behind a NAT. I had started my install that way then realized that I run another webserver behind my NAT. since its not possible to forward port 80 traffic to 2 webservers behind my NAT i scrapped the bind9 stuff and put the zimbra server on a public ip. if there is any way to run 2 webservers behind my NAT(Sonicwall TZ-210) please tell me how cause i'd love to move zimbra back there. so i guess my question about bind9 is do i need it when im using a public IP for reverse dns? cause that seems to be the root of my current problem which is my mail on my test domain is getting rejected as spam at some hosts.

my second question is about Split domain setup. I followed the wiki but it just left me more confused. I have a domain on the external host now and i want to mirror mail on both server so i can let my users see zimbra in action.

the external hosted domain is called example.net and mail.example.net. i created zimbra to run on zimbra.example.net. I made an A record on my dns provider(godaddy) as zimbra points to my ip 72.XXX.XXX.85 and the mx record is zimbra points to zimbra.example.net.

the external hosts records are there too. no A record but the mx is @ points to mail.externalhost.com

I can send email from user@zimbra.example.net to gmail, hotmail, etc but when i try to send to a user on my external host but bounces back as spam. so went to MX Lookup Tool - Check your DNS MX Records online and checked zimbra.example.net and it says reverse dns is not working. how do i fix that without bind9 and on an public ip?

sorry so many questions. i love zimbra and linux and want to learn it.

phoenix is offline Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

You need valid DNS A & MX records whether you are behind a NAT router or on a public IP address, as for your reverse DNS you'll need to contact your ISP about getting that fixed.

I'd suggest you install Zimbra behind the NAT router (follow the Split DNS article) and change it's mode to use ssl (use the zmtlsctl command), that will allow you to forward port 80 traffic to your web serevr and use https for the web UI of zimbra.
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

xkill911 is offline Intermediate Member

Quote Originally Posted by phoenix View Post
    You need valid DNS A & MX records whether you are behind a NAT router or on a public IP address, as for your reverse DNS you'll need to contact your ISP about getting that fixed.
    ahhh! my isp, if i where to move zimbra behind my NAT would i still need to contact my isp to make reserve dns work or would bind9 fix that?

I'd suggest you install Zimbra behind the NAT router (follow the Split DNS article) and change it's mode to use ssl (use the zmtlsctl command), that will allow you to forward port 80 traffic to your web serevr and use https for the web UI of zimbra.
    doh! i should have known ssl uses different port then 80, thanks for reminding me

phoenix is offline Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by xkill911 View Post
    ahhh! my isp, if i where to move zimbra behind my NAT would i still need to contact my isp to make reserve dns work or would bind9 fix that?
    Yes, you would because the reverse DNS is attached to your public IP address.
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

Thread Information