Thread: Certificate issues

gallimore is offline Active Member

Exclamation Certificate issues

Ok, I have trawled trhough the fourms but can't find anything to help regarding the acceptance of self signed certificates with IE 7/8 and XP/Vista.

I am using 5.0.16 FOSS with the following setup:

Zimbra Proxy Server
    Zimbra Server with everything except Proxy

Internal users are accessing their mail directly from the zimbra server.
    External users are accessing their mail via the Zimbra Proxy (SSL only).

Access to the Zimbra Admin console is restricted to internal network either directly or via the VPN.

Whenever https is used IE reports a problem with the certificate (this affects all external users and internal users authorised to access the admin console). I have followed the recommendations on both this site and other sites for getting IE to accept a "problem" certificate but to no avail.

These include (but are not limited to!) adding the certificate to the local user and local computer certificate store as a trusted root certificate authority via mmc and via the internet options dialog. The site was also added to the trusted site list. On vista this has been repeated running the browser as the administrator. The usual clearing of caches, start/stop IE and reboots were included.

We are using a self signed certificate because only employees need access the server.

When the systems were setup no additional commands were run to generate a self signed certificate (certificates were reported to have been generated successfully during setup).

Of course, this issue doesn't occur when using Firefox but I cannot dictate its use.

So, what do I need to do (what commands should I run) to verify that the self signed certificate is indeed correct?

Second question related to certificates:

If I regenreate the certificate for the Mail server and Proxy, what steps need to be completed to make sure both are aware of the changes? Will this be automatic when using the Admin console as opposed to the CLI?

Thanks
    Paul
    Paul Gallimore

rmvg is offline Advanced Member

I have the same issue with certificates ie6 does not seem to accept them correctly??? and just keeps asking over and over again very annoying.

Quote Originally Posted by gallimore View Post
    Ok, I have trawled trhough the fourms but can't find anything to help regarding the acceptance of self signed certificates with IE 7/8 and XP/Vista.

I am using 5.0.16 FOSS with the following setup:

Zimbra Proxy Server
    Zimbra Server with everything except Proxy

Internal users are accessing their mail directly from the zimbra server.
    External users are accessing their mail via the Zimbra Proxy (SSL only).

Access to the Zimbra Admin console is restricted to internal network either directly or via the VPN.

Whenever https is used IE reports a problem with the certificate (this affects all external users and internal users authorised to access the admin console). I have followed the recommendations on both this site and other sites for getting IE to accept a "problem" certificate but to no avail.

These include (but are not limited to!) adding the certificate to the local user and local computer certificate store as a trusted root certificate authority via mmc and via the internet options dialog. The site was also added to the trusted site list. On vista this has been repeated running the browser as the administrator. The usual clearing of caches, start/stop IE and reboots were included.

We are using a self signed certificate because only employees need access the server.

When the systems were setup no additional commands were run to generate a self signed certificate (certificates were reported to have been generated successfully during setup).

Of course, this issue doesn't occur when using Firefox but I cannot dictate its use.

So, what do I need to do (what commands should I run) to verify that the self signed certificate is indeed correct?

Second question related to certificates:

If I regenreate the certificate for the Mail server and Proxy, what steps need to be completed to make sure both are aware of the changes? Will this be automatic when using the Admin console as opposed to the CLI?

Thanks
    Paul
    Computer King

http://www.computerking.ca

Sales, Service, and Hosting
    Email, Data, and Web Packages
    Ask about web design specials

Affiliates
    http://www.computerking.ca/pages/lin...affiliates.htm

rmvg is offline Advanced Member

I hate do this as i know it is rude but .......... bump
    Computer King

http://www.computerking.ca

Sales, Service, and Hosting
    Email, Data, and Web Packages
    Ask about web design specials

Affiliates
    http://www.computerking.ca/pages/lin...affiliates.htm

gallimore is offline Active Member

Quote Originally Posted by rmvg View Post
    I hate do this as i know it is rude but .......... bump
    Just to let you know, I have made no further progress with this issue.
    Paul Gallimore

Thread Information