Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sending but not receiving

pbwebguy is offline Junior Member

Default Sending but not receiving

I just configured my 2nd Zimbra server (different companies). To test I am sending emails between local accounts on the server. It appears as though the emails are being sent but they never arrive in the mail boxes of the users.

I tried setting up a bogus domain and emailing to it which it complains that there is no user. Once I alias a real user to that domain, it allows me to send the email message. This proves that the server is checking and receiving email for the domain.

Here is the zimbra.log output when I send an email:

2006-05-30 16:03:23,917 INFO [http-80-Processor97] [mid=4;ip=192.168.1.199;aname=admin@example.com;nam e=remrick@example.com;] FileBlobStore - Stored size=315 wrote=315 path=/opt/zimbra/store/incoming/1149018514474-3.msg vol=1 digest=SsYZi1dQWXNwA9LjXMCXw0uD4V4=

2006-05-30 16:03:23,918 INFO [http-80-Processor97] [mid=4;ip=192.168.1.199;aname=admin@example.com;nam e=remrick@example.com;] FileBlobStore - Renamed id=257 mbox=4 oldpath=/opt/zimbra/store/incoming/1149018514474-3.msg newpath=/opt/zimbra/store/0/4/msg/0/257-2.msg

2006-05-30 16:03:23,947 INFO [http-80-Processor97] [mid=4;ip=192.168.1.199;aname=admin@example.com;nam e=remrick@example.com;] mailbox - Added message id=257 digest=SsYZi1dQWXNwA9LjXMCXw0uD4V4= mailbox=4 rcpt=:API:

The mail is appearing in the Sent box but nothing arrives in the Inbox. I checked the store/ directory and only the Sent copy is there.

I checked the Server Queue and it is empty.

Sending to an outside domain works.

All services appear to be running: zmcontrol status
    Host po.auctionpal.com
    antispam Running
    antivirus Running
    ldap Running
    logger Running
    mailbox Running
    mta Running
    snmp Running
    spell Running

Any suggestions?

TIA!
    Last edited by pbwebguy; 05-30-2006 at 01:22 PM. Reason: Adding more information

KevinH is offline Expert Member

Anything in /var/log/zimbra.log ? Have you testing sending to/from a valid account like yahoo or gmail?
    Looking for new beta users -> Co-Founder of Acompli. Previously worked at Zimbra (and Yahoo! & VMware) since 2005.

pbwebguy is offline Junior Member

I found the problem in the /var/log/zimbra.log file. Thanks - I didn't know about that log file. The issue has something to do with the fact that I don't have DNS completely configured for this new server and Postfix is complaining.

May 31 09:23:34 localhost postfix/lmtp[29829]: 46156B5506E: to=<jmartin@mydomain.com>, relay=none, delay=0, status=bounced (Host or domain name not found. Name service error for name=mydomain.com type=A: Host not found)

Sending from the server to an outside account works perfectly. Sending to an internal account/domain seems to just vanish. I have not setup an outside MX record to point to this server so I am unable to test that as of yet.

Thanks again!

John

Gysie2701 is offline Intermediate Member

Hi,

I have the same error, but everyting was working fine about an hour ago.

I only use the zimbra as the internal mail.

phoenix is offline Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

Which error? What's in the logs? What's changed on your system in the last hour? Are all the zimbra services running? Do you have a DNS server and if so is it still running?
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

Hi,

Please excuse me for not giving you any of the logs, because I'm not at the Zimbra server at this moment.

I followed the log where I sent a message to myself. It seems that the message gets to the server, but is dropped, because the host or domain name wasn't found.

I didn't make any changes on the server (except added another user).

I couldn't make any changes to the DNS, because I don't have access to it. I'd have to follow that up later, but I think the guy that does our DNS was busy with something else, and not the DNS.

All the services were running when I left the zimbra server.

Regards,
    Gerrie

jholder is offline Former Zimbran

Quote Originally Posted by pbwebguy
    May 31 09:23:34 localhost postfix/lmtp[29829]: 46156B5506E: to=<jmartin@mydomain.com>, relay=none, delay=0, status=bounced (Host or domain name not found. Name service error for name=mydomain.com type=A: Host not found)
    You need to make sure that your domain has a host A record in DNS.

You say this is just an internal mail system, was this also an internal mail you sent to yourself? Does a reboot of the server (or restart of Zimbra) fix the problem?

It's most unusual for Zimbra to not deliver mail if all the services are running, it is likely to be a DNS problem but the logs should confirm that. Can you also check that your DNS records haven't changed.
    Regards

Bill

I did restart zimbra, and the problem persisted. As you said phoenix, it's odd for Zimbra, when all the services are running.

Thanks guys. I will look at the DNS, and double check it. It may be that someone fiddled with the firewall

OK, let us know how you get on. If you still have problems then post some more details, good luck.
    Regards

Bill

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information