Thread: "NO APPEND failed" message when migrating mails

tkrag@mostlyharmless.dk is offline Starter Member

Default "NO APPEND failed" message when migrating mails

Hi,

We're currently trying to migrate all of aour mails from an existing Groupwise (linux) system to a newly installed trial edition of Zimbra NE.

We are using imapsync to move mails via IMAP from one server to another. Unfortunately when running imapsync, we get failures on as much as 2/3's of the mails fro a given account, all failing with:

Couldn't append msg #32 (Subject:XXXXXXX) to folder ZZZZ/yyyyy: Error trying to append: 1320 NO APPEND failed

If I rerun imapsync on the same account it manages to copy some more of the mails, but still fails on some. For one account, I had to run the same imapsync script about 10 times, and that left a couple of mails that were impossible to copy. We get the same behaviour when trying to drag-and-drop mails from one imap account on one server to an account on zimbra, as soon as we take more than 3-5 mails in a single operation, so this error seems to be independent of the imapsync programme.

The server is running on CentOS

The only error messages I get in zimbra.log seem to be these:

######################################
    2006-05-28 16:50:08,482 WARN [LmtpServer-58] [] ParsedMessage - Parse error on MIME part 1 (text/plain, Message-ID: <20060528145001.BB10392C71@backup.lssj.dk>)
    com.zimbra.cs.mime.MimeHandlerException: cannot extract text
    at com.zimbra.cs.mime.handler.DefaultHandler.getConte ntImpl(DefaultHandler.java:92)
    at com.zimbra.cs.mime.MimeHandler.getContent(MimeHand ler.java:254)
    at com.zimbra.cs.mime.ParsedMessage.analyzePart(Parse dMessage.java:589)
    at com.zimbra.cs.mime.ParsedMessage.analyzeMessage(Pa rsedMessage.java:508)
    at com.zimbra.cs.mime.ParsedMessage.analyze(ParsedMes sage.java:252)
    at com.zimbra.cs.lmtpserver.ZimbraLmtpBackend.deliver MessageToLocalMailboxes(ZimbraLmtpBackend.java:235 )
    at com.zimbra.cs.lmtpserver.ZimbraLmtpBackend.deliver (ZimbraLmtpBackend.java:121)
    at com.zimbra.cs.lmtpserver.LmtpHandler.doDATA(LmtpHa ndler.java:420)
    at com.zimbra.cs.lmtpserver.LmtpHandler.processComman d(LmtpHandler.java:197)
    at com.zimbra.cs.tcpserver.ProtocolHandler.processCon nection(ProtocolHandler.java:231)
    at com.zimbra.cs.tcpserver.ProtocolHandler.run(Protoc olHandler.java:198)
    at EDU.oswego.cs.dl.util.concurrent.PooledExecutor$Wo rker.run(Unknown Source)
    at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:595)
    Caused by: com.zimbra.cs.convert.ConversionException: Error loading shared library kvfilter.
    at com.zimbra.cs.convert.TransformationClient.extract (TransformationClient.java:179)
    at com.zimbra.cs.convert.SocketTransformationStub.doE xtract(SocketTransformationStub.java:99)
    at com.zimbra.cs.convert.SocketTransformationStub.ext ract(SocketTransformationStub.java:158)
    at com.zimbra.cs.mime.handler.DefaultHandler.getConte ntImpl(DefaultHandler.java:85)
    ######################################
    but I am unsure if they are in any way related.

Any tips would be most welcome, as this could easily become a show-stopper to our migration plans.

cheers

/tomas

KevinH is offline Expert Member

Your missing a lib or two. Search on kvfilter or see the answer at the end of this thread.

problem injecting cyrus imapd mails with zmlmtpinject
    Looking for new beta users -> Co-Founder of Acompli. Previously worked at Zimbra (and Yahoo! & VMware) since 2005.

TvL
    TvL is offline New Member

Default Problem on Debian

Hi, I also have the "NO APPEND" problem.
    I've read I had to install 'compat-libstdc++', but a apt-cache search compat-libstdc++ doesn't give me any results.

I have also read things about kvfilter, but I have no clue what that is.

Could you guys please give me any advice on what to do?

These are some lines from /opt/zimbra/log/zimbra.log:
    (I've replaced my valid domain with 'mydomain.local')

Code:
    2006-10-12 13:45:11,248 INFO  [ImapSSLServer-13] [ip=127.0.0.1;name=admin@mydomain.local;] FileBlobStore - deleting blob 1322 in mailbox 2
    2006-10-12 13:45:11,249 WARN  [ImapSSLServer-13] [ip=127.0.0.1;name=admin@mydomain.local;] imap - APPEND failed
    com.zimbra.cs.service.ServiceException: system failure: indexMessage caught IOException
            at com.zimbra.cs.service.ServiceException.FAILURE(ServiceException.java:174)
            at com.zimbra.cs.index.Indexer.indexMessage(Indexer.java:161)
            at com.zimbra.cs.mailbox.Message.reindex(Message.java:439)
            at com.zimbra.cs.mailbox.Mailbox.endTransaction(Mailbox.java:4303)
            at com.zimbra.cs.mailbox.Mailbox.addMessageInternal(Mailbox.java:3262)
            at com.zimbra.cs.mailbox.Mailbox.addMessage(Mailbox.java:3042)
            at com.zimbra.cs.mailbox.Mailbox.addMessage(Mailbox.java:3020)
            at com.zimbra.cs.imap.ImapAppendOperation.callback(ImapAppendOperation.java:114)
            at com.zimbra.cs.operation.Operation.schedule(Operation.java:190)
            at com.zimbra.cs.imap.ImapHandler.doAPPEND(ImapHandler.java:1160)
            at com.zimbra.cs.imap.ImapHandler.executeRequest(ImapHandler.java:342)
            at com.zimbra.cs.imap.ImapHandler.processCommand(ImapHandler.java:227)
            at com.zimbra.cs.tcpserver.ProtocolHandler.processConnection(ProtocolHandler.java:231)
            at com.zimbra.cs.tcpserver.ProtocolHandler.run(ProtocolHandler.java:198)
            at EDU.oswego.cs.dl.util.concurrent.PooledExecutor$Worker.run(Unknown Source)
            at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:595)
    Caused by: java.io.IOException: Could not create index /opt/zimbra/index/0/2/index/0 (directory already exists)
            at com.zimbra.cs.index.MailboxIndex.openIndexWriter(MailboxIndex.java:906)
            at com.zimbra.cs.index.MailboxIndex.addDocument(MailboxIndex.java:349)
            at com.zimbra.cs.index.Indexer.addDocument(Indexer.java:354)
            at com.zimbra.cs.index.Indexer.addDocument(Indexer.java:324)
            at com.zimbra.cs.index.Indexer.indexMessage(Indexer.java:156)
            ... 14 more
    Caused by: java.io.FileNotFoundException: /opt/zimbra/index/0/2/index/0/segments (Permission denied)
            at java.io.RandomAccessFile.open(Native Method)
            at java.io.RandomAccessFile.<init>(RandomAccessFile.java:212)
            at org.apache.lucene.store.FSInputStream$Descriptor.<init>(FSDirectory.java:376)
            at org.apache.lucene.store.FSInputStream.<init>(FSDirectory.java:405)
            at org.apache.lucene.store.FSDirectory.openFile(FSDirectory.java:268)
            at org.apache.lucene.index.SegmentInfos.read(SegmentInfos.java:40)
            at org.apache.lucene.index.IndexWriter$1.doBody(IndexWriter.java:233)
            at org.apache.lucene.store.Lock$With.run(Lock.java:109)
            at org.apache.lucene.index.IndexWriter.<init>(IndexWriter.java:228)
            at org.apache.lucene.index.IndexWriter.<init>(IndexWriter.java:173)
            at com.zimbra.cs.index.MailboxIndex.openIndexWriter(MailboxIndex.java:887)
            ... 18 more
    2006-10-12 13:45:11,263 INFO  [ImapSSLServer-13] [] ProtocolHandler - Handler exiting normally
    2006-10-12 13:45:50,857 INFO  [IndexWritersSweeper] [] MailboxIndex - open index writers sweep: before=1, closed=1, after=0 (0ms)
    2006-10-12 13:48:43,797 INFO  [ImapSSLServer-5] [ip=10.10.1.50;name=admin@mydomain.local;] cache - Initializing folder and tag caches for mailbox 2
    zimbra:~#

dkarp is offline Zimbra Employee

Default Permissions issue

TvL, you have a permissions problem:
    Code:
    Caused by: java.io.FileNotFoundException: /opt/zimbra/index/0/2/index/0/segments (Permission denied)
    Search the forums for the script that'll fix that...
    Bugzilla - Wiki - Downloads - Before posting... Search!

TvL

You are right!!!

I was using imapsync and cancelled with CTRL+C.
    The segments file was owned by "root root".
    I have no clue why.
    I have changed the owner to zimbra:zimbra and it seems OK now...

raj2569 is offline Intermediate Member

Are you using Debian ?

raj
    Release 4.0.2_GA_362.RHEL4_20060924201056 CentOS4 FOSS edition

TvL

Yes I do...

Forgot to mention that... sorry...
    This is a known problem?

drwho18 is offline Senior Member

This bug appears to still be an issue with 4.5.5. I can crash zimbra by Ctrl-C'ing during the imapsync process, stopping the services with zmcontrol, fixing permissions and restarting seems to fix the issue. However killed imap commands shouldn't be able to crash zimbra.

phoenix is online now Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by drwho18 View Post
    This bug appears to still be an issue with 4.5.5. I can crash zimbra by Ctrl-C'ing during the imapsync process, stopping the services with zmcontrol, fixing permissions and restarting seems to fix the issue. However killed imap commands shouldn't be able to crash zimbra.
    Are you using Debian as well? If you are, this is a Debian Kernel bug and nothing to do with Zimbra.
    Last edited by phoenix; 05-18-2007 at 06:42 AM.
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

Thread Information