Thread: [SOLVED] Web Client/Desktop data mismatch

tikal is offline Senior Member

Default [SOLVED] Web Client/Desktop data mismatch

I need help coming up with a method to update my Zimbra server with the local data in my Zimbra Desktop install. I had some issues with my VM and in the process of trouble shooting I lost about a months worth of emails and documents that are in my Zimbra Desktop, that do not show up in the Web Client. According to what I read in the Zimbra Desktop FAQ, Zimbra Desktop always syncs with the server for Zimbra style accounts. This does not appear to be the case for me. There is data in my desktop, that is not in my server. How do I update the server with the local data?

Synchronizing Data on Yahoo! Zimbra Desktop FAQ - Zimbra :: Wiki

Are all my data in YZD always in sync with my data in mailboxes on remote servers?

For Zimbra accounts, virtually 100% of data is synchronized with the server, including user preferences.
    Last edited by tikal; 07-18-2009 at 12:25 AM.

Thanks to Rich Graves for telling me how to fix this and helping me with this issue!!
    Here's what I did:
    1. Logged into Zimbra Administration Console and created a new email account called temp@mydomain.com
    2. Went to the preferences section in ZDesktop and exported all the data in my Zimbra desktop account to a .tgz file. (this took a while, large inbox)
    3. Logged into temp@mydomain.com through the web client and imported the previously saved .tgz file (this took a while too) and confirmed that everything imported succesfully.
    4. Logged into Zimbra Administration Console and changed my normal account name to OLD-myaddress@mydomain.com
    5. Also in Admin console, changed temp@mydomain.com to myaddress@mydomain.com
    6. Opened up Zimbra Desktop and immediately, it threw and error saying that it cannot contact the server. (ID numbers, etc don't match) I then deleted the account in desktop, and re created a now one with my info again. Desktop basically finished syncing everything again, and then says there are errors. Eventually I found out by reading another post in the Admin's forum here that ZDesktop export files are not compatible with the Web Clients import function and vice versa. "because desktop has local folders and error logs, etc." I had no way of knowing this at the time, because web client successfully imports the desktop file even though they are not compatible!! Only after the import finishes do you start scratching your head trying to figure out whats wrong.

7. After various exports and imports from desktop and web client, I have my missing emails showing up in both web client, and desktop now. It was a headache, but fortunately, not Zimbra's fault at all. The blame is totally on vmware server 2 and me!!!
    Last edited by tikal; 07-21-2009 at 02:13 AM.

Can someone file a bug in bugzilla for me (or tell me how), so users won't be able to import zdesktop .tgz export files into the web client and vice versa. A pop-up saying "this file is from zdesktop, and is not compatible" and "this file is from web client, and is not compatible" Or better yet, make them compatible!! Currently you will get the "folder not immutable" errors if you import one to the other. For me it was because zdesktop and web client look so identical in almost everyway, that it was not totally obvious to me that I could not do this.

phoenix is online now Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

You need to create a new account in bugzilla then login and hit 'new' at the top of the page and go on from there.
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

Thread Information