Thread: Full admin abilities per domain?

ssatre is offline Active Member

Question Full admin abilities per domain?

Can I somehow give Domain Admins full admin control over accounts in their domain, so they can View Mail, Mailbox quotas, etc? Is this a function of the Domain Admin UI Extension? I've been searching all over for details on it's abilities- what capabilities it has, etc. I'm a bit loathe to deploy it before I know what it does, and I'm not a coder/programmer so creating my own extension is WAAAYYYYY over my head.

Also- on a more general note- is there a way to limit retention on the "Sent" email folder to 30 days?

y@w
    y@w is offline Moderator

There is a bug for adding delegated admin in Zimbra 6.0 to be able to manage users of other domains. Tagged in later on in the bug, is a request for those delegated admins to be able to view users mail.. I didn't read it terribly closely, but I really wasn't clear whether the view mail feature was implemented or not.

I'm reading: Bug 11515 – role based delegate administration

Hmm. Following the trail of that bug, I found the one that seems to more directly address the issue I would like to resolve- I need domain admins to be able to access more administrative functions over their own domain users- i.e. view mail. (Perhaps viewing mail quotas goes hand in hand?)

Bug 13183

y@w
    y@w is offline Moderator

Hmm not sure. That bug that you linked to is quite old though.

Now that I read your post again, it looks like you're looking for a definition of what the domain admin can do? The current capabilities can be found in their wiki: Administration Console - Zimbra :: Wiki It looks like they can manage Accounts, Aliases, Distribution Lists, and Resources. The wiki page says the specific functions are explained in the help files. Your domain admins should be able to set quotas up to a limit that's set by a system administrator. I know that they can't use the 'view mail' button.

Going forward, it looks like the delegated domain administrator in Zimbra 6.0 can only manage other domains with the same capabilities as now. I could be wrong though.. I've only installed the 6.0 beta of the open source version, not the NE version.

The bug is old, but its still open and showing "Assigned", so it LOOKS like it's being worked on... (yeah right)

Yes, I know what the designated Domain Admins can do. In my opinion, it'd be nice to be able to expand those duties with the ability to access the "View Mail" option in their domain, as well as viewing their domain's accounts mailbox quotas. (Being able to set/modify the quota is good, but IMHO if you don't know which of your users are close to their quota, it doesn't do much good.)

I've got six domains and five district/domain admins plus myself (the only global admin). I'd like for the more capable district/domain admins to be able to fully administer their own domains without being able to access any global configs or settings. The current domain admin rights set is very, very limiting, and it would be GREAT if there were additional rights/permissions able to be granted to individual domain admins by the global admin. (Perhaps tied to the COS?)

Clear as mud, right? XD It's Friday and I need more coffee, I think...

Thread Information