Thread: Zimbra with AD

madapaka is offline Junior Member

Question Zimbra with AD

Hi Guys,

We're planning to migrate to Zimbra Open Source Edition with Win2k3 AD to serve as lookup from our current Postfix with MySQL back end setup and I have several questions that needs to be addressed to see if what I've in mind is doable and feasible, enough said here they are:

1. I currently have six virtual domains around 300 users all in all, will Zimbra Open Source with Win2k3 AD lookup work?
    2. Can the Open Source Edition support such setup?
    3. The reason Win2k3 AD will be used is because we need to sync our AD to a remote AD, however if it's not supported and I omit the Win2K3 lookup, will Zimbra Open Source be able to sync its GAL with a remote AD?
    4. Will outlook and entourage mail clients be able to connect to my desired setup and be able to use GAL?
    5. Pointers to what should I do will be greatly appreciated.

TIA for all your inputs.
    Last edited by madapaka; 07-04-2009 at 02:58 AM.

uxbod is offline Moderator

Welcome to the forums

to serve as lookup from our current Postfix with MySQL back end setup
    So do you wish to retain your current setup or migrate to Zimbra ?

With respect to the rest of the questions then the answer is yes and with the FOSS version. Check Main Page - Zimbra :: Wiki for plenty of documentation

Quote Originally Posted by uxbod View Post
    Welcome to the forums

So do you wish to retain your current setup or migrate to Zimbra ?

With respect to the rest of the questions then the answer is yes and with the FOSS version. Check Main Page - Zimbra :: Wiki for plenty of documentation
    No, I'll build this from scratch, I don't want to disturb my whiny clients, and I plan to deploy it first in a test environment (VMWare) before putting it into production.

I've read some of the documentations and I've actually made a successful install in a test server and if what you're saying is true then that's great news.

veronica is offline Outstanding Member

> 1. I currently have six virtual domains around 300 users all in all, will Zimbra Open Source with Win2k3 AD lookup work?

Yes do an external authentication

Would recommand to go for Network as you get other benefits too

3. The reason Win2k3 AD will be used is because we need to sync our AD to a remote AD, however if it's not supported and I omit the Win2K3 lookup, will Zimbra Open Source be able to sync its GAL with a remote AD?

Why dont you do an external GAL lookup rather than sync ?

4. Will outlook and entourage mail clients be able to connect to my desired setup and be able to use GAL?

Outlook cannot as with opensource you dont get zimbra connector. Thats why would advice to go with network edition.

Quote Originally Posted by veronica View Post
    > 1. I currently have six virtual domains around 300 users all in all, will Zimbra Open Source with Win2k3 AD lookup work?

Yes do an external authentication

Would recommand to go for Network as you get other benefits too

Why dont you do an external GAL lookup rather than sync ?

Outlook cannot as with opensource you dont get zimbra connector. Thats why would advice to go with network edition.
    1. That's good to know.
    2. I would love to but sorry we can't afford the Network Edition, the price is too prohibitive.
    3. I don't quite understand what you mean, what's the difference?
    4. This is sad, so you mean that outlook/entourage clients won't be able to retrieve and send emails using their favorite email client?

veronica is offline Outstanding Member

> 4. This is sad, so you mean that outlook/entourage clients won't be able to retrieve and send emails using their favorite email client?

Email client will work same way as outlook express works with only mails getting synced but not other things like tasks, documents, GAL etc. You need an Outlook Connector for syncing GAL anyhow.

Quote Originally Posted by veronica View Post
    >
    Email client will work same way as outlook express works with only mails getting synced but not other things like tasks, documents, GAL etc. You need an Outlook Connector for syncing GAL anyhow.
    Forgive my ignorance I'm not yet familiar with GAL's functionalities, if they would be able to send and retrieve emails, would they also be able to use the address book functionality i.e. they don't have to save other user's email individually and make use of Zimbra's?

uxbod is offline Moderator

Nope, you would need to use the Outlook Connector available with the Network Edition version of ZCS.

Thread Information