Thread: Zimbra Distribution Lists - When deleted by somebody, deleted by everyone

nufan is offline Senior Member

Default Zimbra Distribution Lists - When deleted by somebody, deleted for everyone else

Hi there,

We have several distribution lists that customers email to. The individual members of the lists use their own mail rules to filter emails sent to the lists to a seperate folder in order to distinguish their personal emails from distribution list emails.

My question is, is there any way that these distribution lists can be synced between everyone on it? eg. an email is sent to list@test.com and shows up in both John and Joe's filtered folder. John delete's the email, but Joe has to also delete his "copy" of the email. What we would like is once John deletes the email, it to also be deleted from Joe's.

Hope this makes sense, is there any way to set it up like this? If so, are there instructions?

Thanks for any input
    Last edited by nufan; 06-08-2009 at 09:42 AM.

uxbod is offline Moderator

When you send a email to a distribution list the server sends a individual message to every member; therefore no real way to do this. One workaround would be to create a folder for the list and share that with all the users. The only issue will be duplicates

Krishopper is offline Dedicated Member

I'm not sure what your setup is or why you are using Distribution Lists in this fashion, but maybe a shared mailbox would help you accomplish this "synchronization" issue a bit better?

nufan is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Krishopper View Post
    I'm not sure what your setup is or why you are using Distribution Lists in this fashion, but maybe a shared mailbox would help you accomplish this "synchronization" issue a bit better?
    to be honest I took over the administration of the Zimbra server so am just working with what I was left. It seems the best option is to create an account rather than a distribution list, and then share the inbox with all those who need access to it. However in testing, it worked fine for just the web version of zimbra, but those synced with Mail, the shared folder didn't show up. Is the "shared" option only going to work with the web client or would a web/imap mixture still work?

Thanks for the replies so far and thanks for any more info! I am curious how others make this work in their own environments. I too agree that I don't think it was the correct decision when it was setup to use Distribution Lists rather than individual accounts. I guess he was trying to save some licenses as making them all accounts will obviously pull from that.

Cheers

Thread Information