Thread: Backups create high load and take down server.

atx4runner is offline Intermediate Member

Default Backups create high load and take down server.

I'm running Zimbra on Ubuntu 6.06.2 LTS. The normal scheduled backups were running every night with the default schedule. One night the server load went incredibly high and all services stopped responding. Since then every night when the backup runs the server stops responding. I unscheduled all backups and tried to run one manually in a new directory with the same results. The server is all installed in one partition that is only 20% full.

I have been unable to find anyone else with this problem or figure out a fix. It seems like the backup process is hogging all the resources and not being niced. No configuration changes were made to the server. I'm at a lost for how to get backups running without taking down the server now. Any help in pointing me in the right direction would be appreciated.

-Doug
    Last edited by atx4runner; 05-28-2009 at 02:47 PM.

atx4runner is offline Intermediate Member

Default Please help.. =\

No one else has ever ran into this problem? These are the zmschedule'd backups not tape or disk etc. I've been trying to run a backup now for a couple of weeks and every time the server goes down completely where I can't even SSH to it. I'm getting nervous not having a good backup of my users accounts. I guess I'll call in for support today and see if they have any ideas.

rfoster is offline Active Member

I'm seeing similar behavior and am also running Ubuntu 6.06.2. This started with upgrade of ZCS from 5 to 6. Although it's not crashing my server it is causing a huge load with lots of waiting and what was a 10 to 15 minute full backup is now taking 175 minutes. I'm considering upgrading Ubuntu to 8.04LTS because I suspect it's a driver problem talking to the raid controller. atx4runner-- did you resolve your issue? Anybody else have thoughts on this?

Thread Information