Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Upgrade to Zimbra 5.0.16

ple
    ple is offline Loyal Member

Default Upgrade to Zimbra 5.0.16

Hi,
    Is there a compelling reason to upgrade to 5.0.16? What are the gotchas? I'm running 5.0.15 - RHAS5.
    Thanks.
    PL

uxbod is offline Moderator

No reason not to upgrade. All the fixes can be seen here :- Zimbra Product Portal

PhishKiller is offline Active Member

You really did not answer the most imporant part of the questions. What are the 'gotchas' that we won't find in the release notes.

Who has successfuly upgraded, and how long did the upgrade take?

uxbod is offline Moderator

No gotchas from what I have seen ... Lots of people have upgraded ... Upgrade time is very much dependent on your installation and the number of accounts etc.

Rich Graves is offline Outstanding Member

NE-only gotcha: The "no blobs" calendar optimization in 5.0.16+ is likely to cause problems with old versions of the Outlook Connector. Upgrade clients first; verify client versions in audit.log; then upgrade server.

Compelling feature: Among the top requirements in pmweb is "Zimbra too trusting of client-supplied MIME type." This can be a big problem for Firefox and Thunderbird users, especially on MacOS.

...but no, we haven't upgraded yet. Had a 5.0.15 upgrade scheduled two days after .16 was released, and we didn't have enough time to update ZCO clients.

This is good info. I'll check on our sales staff, they are the only ones using Outlook to interface and update calendars. The rest of us are all on OSX. I recall some nasty issues with Thunderbird in the RC's but we've been OK, so far as I can tell on 5.0.0 GA. Sounds like we'll be OK again with .16.

The largest two reasons for doing the update are patches for security and to repair a completely hosed A/V SPAM from a crash of the A/V SPAM db after we brought in an outside 'expert' to get this tuned up.

ple
    ple is offline Loyal Member

Default I did upgrade to 5.016 last week

Hi,
    I'm the one who opened the ticket originally. Anyhow, I went ahead to upgrade to 5.016. The upgrade process went very smooth. In fact, it fixed the annoying issue with logswatch I was having with 5.015. On the flip side, I did have to re-do my custom graphics/tittles.
    PL

Quote Originally Posted by ple View Post
    Hi,
    I'm the one who opened the ticket originally. Anyhow, I went ahead to upgrade to 5.016. The upgrade process went very smooth. In fact, it fixed the annoying issue with logswatch I was having with 5.015. On the flip side, I did have to re-do my custom graphics/tittles.
    PL
    Great! How much downtime was there in the upgrade? I take it you can't do it live, zimbra must be stopped before the upgrade started, or can the underlying parts be swapped then restarted because it's running in memory?

Goonsniper is offline Active Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Graves View Post
    NE-only gotcha: The "no blobs" calendar optimization in 5.0.16+ is likely to cause problems with old versions of the Outlook Connector. Upgrade clients first; verify client versions in audit.log; then upgrade server.

Compelling feature: Among the top requirements in pmweb is "Zimbra too trusting of client-supplied MIME type." This can be a big problem for Firefox and Thunderbird users, especially on MacOS.

...but no, we haven't upgraded yet. Had a 5.0.15 upgrade scheduled two days after .16 was released, and we didn't have enough time to update ZCO clients.

When you talk about old outlook connectors being a problem... how "old" are we talking about?

Rich Graves is offline Outstanding Member

My concern is based on Bug 36534 - Syncing a reply to instance of a "noBlob" recurring meeting causes a C++ assert and Bug 35600 - Deal with change in GetAppointmentResponse for appointment with short meeting notes

I did not get an answer to my thread at Conflict 5.0.16 server and pre-5.0.16 ZCO?, but the above bugs suggest to me that any ZCO pre-5.0.16 will have problems with a 5.0.16 server.

We are still on 5.0.15 and (more slowly than I'd like) upgrading all clients to 5.0.16.2... which we're going to want anyway in order to support Office 2007 SP2 *or* the pre-SP2 Outlook hotfixes.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information