Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12

Thread: administration panel

  1. #1
    nima0102 is offline Member
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    10
    Rep Power
    6

    Default administration panel

    Hi
    Is there any way that one user except of admin can log in to panel and access to some parts of administration,for example add user for that domain???
    thanks for your any guidance

  2. #2
    phoenix is offline Zimbra Consultant & Moderator
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Vannes, France
    Posts
    23,581
    Rep Power
    57

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by nima0102 View Post
    Hi
    Is there any way that one user except of admin can log in to panel and access to some parts of administration,for example add user for that domain???
    thanks for your any guidance
    Domain Administration is only available in the Network Edition of Zimbra.
    Regards


    Bill


    Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

  3. #3
    nima0102 is offline Member
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    10
    Rep Power
    6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by phoenix View Post
    Domain Administration is only available in the Network Edition of Zimbra.
    Hi
    That means I can not have one admin for every domain?
    Is it possible I add user with some permissions, for example adding account for that domain?

    Thanks in advance

  4. #4
    vbn's Avatar
    vbn
    vbn is offline Active Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Singapore and India
    Posts
    42
    Rep Power
    5

    Smile

    Quote Originally Posted by nima0102 View Post
    Hi
    That means I can not have one admin for every domain?
    Is it possible I add user with some permissions, for example adding account for that domain?

    Thanks in advance
    As said before that feature is available built-in only in the Network Edition. I am working on exactly what you are looking for on the Open Source one. It will involve a seperate interface, MySql DB and some logic
    VBNCloud & VBNMail - Administrator
    Zimbra OSS with Full Cloud Files/Gallery Services [Under Dev]

  5. #5
    elcorazon is offline Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    10
    Rep Power
    6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by vbn View Post
    As said before that feature is available built-in only in the Network Edition. I am working on exactly what you are looking for on the Open Source one. It will involve a seperate interface, MySql DB and some logic
    VBN, your signature suggests you already do have a domain admin panel for Zimbra OSS - I am also thinking about writing one. Could you provide some information about your progress so far and your plans on releasing it open source? Thanks in advance

  6. #6
    vbn's Avatar
    vbn
    vbn is offline Active Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Singapore and India
    Posts
    42
    Rep Power
    5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by elcorazon View Post
    VBN, your signature suggests you already do have a domain admin panel for Zimbra OSS - I am also thinking about writing one. Could you provide some information about your progress so far and your plans on releasing it open source? Thanks in advance
    Ah! You caught me...time to edit the singature

    Its still under developement and being used/tested by internal members. Not ready yet for full production. But all I can say is its working to our satisfaction.

    As far as releasing it open source, I am not too sure. We "may" release some backend API and procedures but definitely not the whole package. I am sure there are many out there who already have a working version for this concept. Domain admin delegation is an important part of Zimbra NE version but certainly do-able on the OSS.
    VBNCloud & VBNMail - Administrator
    Zimbra OSS with Full Cloud Files/Gallery Services [Under Dev]

  7. #7
    elcorazon is offline Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    10
    Rep Power
    6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by vbn View Post
    As far as releasing it open source, I am not too sure. We "may" release some backend API and procedures but definitely not the whole package. I am sure there are many out there who already have a working version for this concept. Domain admin delegation is an important part of Zimbra NE version but certainly do-able on the OSS.
    ok... I also think its doable but I hoped that there would already be some os solution.

    Maybe someone (phoenix / zimbra member?) could clarify the legal situation of

    1. ...building a domain level admin panel for OSS
    2. ...and releasing it as open source project


    thx

  8. #8
    phoenix is offline Zimbra Consultant & Moderator
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Vannes, France
    Posts
    23,581
    Rep Power
    57

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by elcorazon View Post
    Maybe someone (phoenix / zimbra member?) could clarify the legal situation of

    1. ...building a domain level admin panel for OSS
    2. ...and releasing it as open source project
    There's no restriction on building any software interface you like to Zimbra, Open Source is always a good idea.
    Regards


    Bill


    Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

  9. #9
    elcorazon is offline Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    10
    Rep Power
    6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by phoenix View Post
    There's no restriction on building any software interface you like to Zimbra, Open Source is always a good idea.
    ok then I just don't get the idea of restricting the product in that way - I think there might be better business models than the restriction of the OSS version. But anyway, thanks and hopefully I'll find the time to build such a system withing 2010... aww these New Year's resolutions ;-)

    When I searched for the same thing a few months ago I remember I found some API written in PHP - somebody knows an API for Java? Or is there some good documentation of the SOAP interface?

    @vbn: which interface do you use?

  10. #10
    phoenix is offline Zimbra Consultant & Moderator
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Vannes, France
    Posts
    23,581
    Rep Power
    57

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by elcorazon View Post
    ok then I just don't get the idea of restricting the product in that way - I think there might be better business models than the restriction of the OSS version.
    That's why the OSS version is free and NE is paid-for, it has more features.
    Regards


    Bill


    Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Changing the label of the zimlet in the zimlet panel
    By bogdan.mocanu in forum Zimlets
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-12-2008, 04:07 AM
  2. Distribution list administration
    By shawnlhood in forum Administrators
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-09-2007, 12:03 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •