Thread: Date Received Is Incorrect in Web Interface

wowzimbra is offline Starter Member

Question Date Received Is Incorrect in Web Interface

I installed Zimbra on a Red Hat Enterprise machine with no problem and I used imapsync to transfer my existing email. I used a command like this one:

imapsync --nosyncacls --syncinternaldates --host1 server.gtds.lan --user1 yourAccount --passfile1 yourPasswordFile --host2 zimbra.gtds.lan --user2 yourZimbraAccount --passfile2 yourZimbraPasswordFile

and it transferred all my email sucessfully.

However, when I view my email by logging into Zimbra using a web browser, all my email sent or received before May 27, 2005 shows up with a date sent or date received of May 27, 2005. Emails sent after that date have the correct date. May 27, 2005 was the date I set up IMAP on our existing server. But when I view the same emails using Thunderbird, the correct dates show up for email before May 27, 2005.

Is there a way to have these emails show up with the correct dates in the web interface too?

Thanks,

KevinH is offline Expert Member

--syncinternaldates should have put the right Zimbra internal date. What IMAP server did you convert from?
    Looking for new beta users -> Co-Founder of Acompli. Previously worked at Zimbra (and Yahoo! & VMware) since 2005.

wowzimbra is offline Starter Member

I'm converting from Dovecot version 0.99.11.

It appears to me that Zimbra webmail displays dates based on the internal date of the imap server, and Thunderbird displays dates based on the message headers.

Do you know if it's possible to force either Dovecot or Zimbra's IMAP server to change its internal dates to match the message headers?

rexxe is offline New Member

I'm also having this problem. I moved from Cyrus to Zimbra using the exact same command and all the dates are coming through incorrectly. The actual mail headers are correct, but not what webmail shows. Is there a solution to this or is this a bug?

KevinH is offline Expert Member

A couple related bugs are filed here:

http://bugzilla.zimbra.com/show_bug.cgi?id=6887

http://bugzilla.zimbra.com/show_bug.cgi?id=6888

The answer IMHO is to enhance imapsync to add an option x-zimbra-received header so the Zimbra internal date is updated to match the date of the mail being imported.
    Looking for new beta users -> Co-Founder of Acompli. Previously worked at Zimbra (and Yahoo! & VMware) since 2005.

LasseKongo is offline New Member

Smile

Hi

I have moved my account from a cyrus server to Zimbra, seeing the same problem with dates.

I think updating imapsync to provide this functionality would be a really good thing, but is it possible/planned to make a simple utility that allows you to update the IMAP date from the message header, after moving the mails to Zimbra ?
    Or maybe adding a button to the Zimbra interface allowing users to fix the dates in their account, or in the admin GUI, to let the administrator do a global update of all the accounts.

This would also be a useful thing when people is not using imapsync, but the rather the built-in functions to copy/move mail in their mailclients.

Just a few ideas...

phoenix is offline Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

Hi

Welcome to the forums.

They're good ideas and for Zimbra to take note of them you should post them in bugzilla, don't forget to vote for them if you do.
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

Thread Information