Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Multiple inbound SMTP host names

phoenix is offline Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by morten View Post
    Now I understand the confusion. This bug is reporting the server-wide configuration. however, I am configuring this on a per-domain setup. This is because not all domains use the same servers.
    OK: how about this: Bug 28442 – zimbraSmtpHostname configurable on a domain basis - it's cli only and if you want it in the Admin UI then please raise a bug/RFE report.
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

morten is offline Active Member

Bill (phoenix)

Thank's very much for the really quick replies. It is very much appreciated. At least now it's more clear what the possibilities are.
    It's not just for me, but hopefully for more people needing this.

Again, thx.

Labsy is offline Elite Member

Sorry, but I still miss settings from initial post:

Under DOMAINS --> DOMAIN.COM --> GENERAL SETTIGNS --> "Inbound SMTP host name"
    There can only be 1 value inserted.

So, is this relevant in my situation?

Code:
    mail sender --> SMTP Antispam proxy --> Zimbra server

like this:

domain.com. 7200    IN      MX      10 mx1.spamproxy.com.
    domain.com. 7200    IN      MX      20 mx2.spamproxy.com.
    Spamproxy is then configured, to forward mail to ZIMBRA server.

What should I enter into "Inbound SMTP host name" field? Is ti "mx*.spamproxy.com" to be entered there, or "zimbra server's name"?

MACscr is offline Special Member

I would like to know the answer to this question as well. Its pretty disappointing that no one responded sooner after 10+ posts with an actual answer to the original question. Its 2010 and this Zimbra is supposed to be an enterprise email solution. Do you really think I am only going to have one inbound smtp server?

phoenix is offline Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by MACscr View Post
    I would like to know the answer to this question as well. Its pretty disappointing that no one responded sooner after 10+ posts with an actual answer to the original question. Its 2010 and this Zimbra is supposed to be an enterprise email solution. Do you really think I am only going to have one inbound smtp server?
    If you read the details of the bug report mentioned in comment #9 you will see that this was fixed in Zimbra 6.0.2.
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

Quote Originally Posted by phoenix View Post
    If you read the details of the bug report mentioned in comment #9 you will see that this was fixed in Zimbra 6.0.2.
    Phoenix, unless im blind, im using Release 6.0.7_GA_2473.UBUNTU8_64 UBUNTU8_64 NETWORK edition and there is only a single field option for an inbound SMTP server entry. Am I missing something?

LMStone is offline Moderator

Phoenix, unless im blind, im using Release 6.0.7_GA_2473.UBUNTU8_64 UBUNTU8_64 NETWORK edition and there is only a single field option for an inbound SMTP server entry. Am I missing something?
    Hi MACscr,

Bill I thought was pretty clear in his post above that setting these attributes on a per-domain basis is done via the command line interface ("cli") only, and comment #6 in the bug report lists the attributes which you can set.

It is common in Zimbra's development that new features are first accessible only via the commandline, and then if there is enough demand, a UI is added to the Admin Console.

In this case, the "new feature" is the ability to set heretofore system-wide settings on a per-domain basis. The Admin Console has the UI to manage these settings on a system-wide basis, but the Admin Console does not have the UI to manage these same settings on a per-domain basis.

So, if you need to do this on a per-domain basis, you'll need to drop to the cli as Bill said, and reference the bug report for the specific parameters to set.

Let us know if you need help using the cli.

Hope that helps,
    Mark

Mark,

Thanks for the detailed reply, but your stating that it should be available in the admin console UI for doing it system wide. Which is all i want to do. I just looked in global settings and it still only has one field for "Inbound SMTP host name". And unless they can be comma separated, I am still missing something. I am definitely not trying to be a pain at all, just trying to learn and make sure we on the same page here. I have no problem using the CLI if we have to (not that i know it well yet, im completely new to zimbra), but your stating that this feature should already be available as a global setting.

LMStone is offline Moderator

Mark,

Thanks for the detailed reply, but your stating that it should be available in the admin console UI for doing it system wide. Which is all i want to do. I just looked in global settings and it still only has one field for "Inbound SMTP host name". And unless they can be comma separated, I am still missing something. I am definitely not trying to be a pain at all, just trying to learn and make sure we on the same page here. I have no problem using the CLI if we have to (not that i know it well yet, im completely new to zimbra), but your stating that this feature should already be available as a global setting.
    Sorry, having now just reread this whole thread I see there are really two questions being asked. And no worries, I didn't take your post as being a pain at all!

Based on the language in the bug report (Bug 40072 – multi-valued zimbraSmtpHostname not reflected in Admin Console.), it does say that the Admin Console now accepts multiple entries. In other places in the Admin Console spaces are used to separate multiple entries (like Trusted MTA networks for example) so I would try spaces first as a separator here.

We manage our own anti-spam as do our clients' systems that we maintain, so we have never set this variable from the Admin Console.

The commandline is very powerful and straightforward to pick up. zmprov and zmlocalconfig will be what you use most often and the way I got started was just by becoming the zimbra user, typing "zmprov help" and exploring.

Keep us posted!

All the best,
    Mark

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information