Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Migration question

  1. #1
    Sc00ter is offline Active Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    31
    Rep Power
    8

    Default Migration question

    Okay, I was following this page:

    http://wiki.zimbra.com/index.php?title=Split_Domain

    to do a split domain for migration.

    What I was doing (and tell me if this is wrong, and the correct way to do it if possible) was putting a .forward file in the user directories that were moving.

    So we'll use the example.com domain used in the webpage example.

    mail comes to user@example.com. The MX points to mail.example.com. So the mail gets delivered to user on mail.example.com. In their home directory they have a .forward that sends the mail to user@zimbra.example.com.

    zimbra.example.com bounces with a relaying denied error.

    How do I get that mail to user@example.com on the zimbra.example.com server?

  2. #2
    Sc00ter is offline Active Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    31
    Rep Power
    8

    Default

    okay, I figured out one thing.. in the .forward file has to have the same hostname as the zimbra server.

    So if you have zimbra.example.com you can't have the forward file say user@newmail.example.com.

    I changed the .forward file to user@zimbra.example.com and ran another test.

    This is now the current error.

    ----- The following addresses had permanent fatal errors -----
    user@zimbra.example.com
    (reason: 550 <user@zimbra.example.com>: Recipient address rejected: User unknown in local recipient table)
    (expanded from: <user@example.com>)

  3. #3
    bparris is offline Active Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    37
    Rep Power
    9

    Default

    postconf -e canonical_maps=hash:/opt/zimbra/conf/canonical
    put "@zimbra.example.com @example.com" into the canonical file
    postmap canonical
    postfix stop
    postfix start

  4. #4
    Sc00ter is offline Active Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    31
    Rep Power
    8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bparris
    postconf -e canonical_maps=hash:/opt/zimbra/conf/canonical
    put "@zimbra.example.com @example.com" into the canonical file
    postmap canonical
    postfix stop
    postfix start
    Well, that kind of worked.. But now if I send an email from the new zimbra server, it doesn't go to mail.example.com, it just delivers it locally on zimbra.example.com.
    Last edited by Sc00ter; 05-04-2006 at 11:08 AM.

  5. #5
    bparris is offline Active Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    37
    Rep Power
    9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sc00ter
    Well, that kind of worked.. But now if I send an email from the new zimbra server, it doesn't go to mail.example.com, it just delivers it locally on zimbra.example.com.
    That's exactly what the split domain is supposed to do, for any account that exists in zimbra, deliver locally, otherwise forward to another server for delivery.

  6. #6
    Sc00ter is offline Active Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    31
    Rep Power
    8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bparris
    That's exactly what the split domain is supposed to do, for any account that exists in zimbra, deliver locally, otherwise forward to another server for delivery.
    There's no way to setup all the accounts on the zimbra server ahead of time and slowly migrate people over? I've already created the accounts.. I'd hate to have to remove them, than re-add them again.

  7. #7
    rsharpe is offline Elite Member & Volunteer
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    London, ON
    Posts
    255
    Rep Power
    9

    Default

    You can on Zimbra just change the zimbraMailTransport attribute to send to the other server.

    zmprov ma user@example.com zimbraMailTransport smtp:mail.example.com

  8. #8
    bparris is offline Active Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    37
    Rep Power
    9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sc00ter
    There's no way to setup all the accounts on the zimbra server ahead of time and slowly migrate people over? I've already created the accounts.. I'd hate to have to remove them, than re-add them again.
    Try setting the accounts inactive, see if that helps.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Migration Wizard: Unable to Open Directory Object
    By ThorGoLucky in forum Administrators
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 01-31-2008, 02:01 AM
  2. Migration from Exchange to Zimbra question
    By linmar in forum Migration
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-02-2007, 08:35 AM
  3. Multiple Domains Question
    By kristiaan_d in forum Administrators
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-14-2007, 04:38 AM
  4. Migration Question
    By gcarter in forum Administrators
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-14-2007, 03:52 PM
  5. User Migration / Account / Password Question
    By nexus in forum Installation
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-28-2006, 09:02 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •