Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: mails archive on server

chandu is offline Elite Member

Default mails archive on server

Hi,

I just wanted to confirm one thing....
    if we download our mails on local disk by using outlook then its getting deleted on the server and there is no any copy avalible on zimbra server.
    is it correct ??

is there any way to archive mails on zimbra OS server ?

Please reply.

Thanks

uxbod is offline Moderator

You could look at using the FOSS version of MailArchiva - Email Archiving or upgrade to the NE version of ZCS and purchase ZAD

raj
    raj is offline Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by chandu View Post
    if we download our mails on local disk by using outlook then its getting deleted on the server..
    Its not ture as you have written. you can setup your outlook pop3 connection property such so its set "not to delete the email from the server" when downloading email. This setting is avail in every email client.
    This way all your mail will stay on server always and a copy on your desktop.

if that is what you asking ?

------------------------------------------
    or if you question was how to archive then:

For OSS version of zimbra Postfix can Archive/copy all IN+OUT email to certain account you want.
    ** Please make sure its a LOCAL ACCOUNT to reduce load on server
    ** yourbackupdomain.com or the backup domain needs to be on the same zimbra for best results.

you can edit the following file:
    /opt/zimbra/postfix-x.x.x.x/conf/main.cf

and add the following line..with correct email id:
    always_bcc = allemail@yourbackupdomain.com

Restart zimbra...
    and you will get all email IN+OUT in that account..you can filter the emails of you like to keep only outbound email

* After any upgrade these settings needs to be redone

Raj
    Last edited by raj; 03-23-2009 at 05:29 AM.
    i2k2 Networks
    Dedicated & Shared Zimbra Hosting Provider

Uxbod / Raj,

Thanks for reply.

I couldnt find out any setting for "not to delete the email from the server" in MS outlook with pop3 configuration. There is option for "leave a copy of messges on the server" which is to download mails on local disk or keep it on server as per our requirement.
    can u pls tell me where can i get "not to delete the email from the server" setting ?

And our client going to use IMAP config now...and i beleive in that case if they cross mailbox size threshold then they have to DRAG and DROP the mails from server folder to local folder....n once it done those mails will get removed from server ...is there any option for IMAP ??

Thanks.

uxbod is offline Moderator

Also check your Email Retention settings in the Admin GUI.

petricag is offline Member

Uxbod / Raj,

I couldnt find out any setting for "not to delete the email from the server" in MS outlook with pop3 configuration. There is option for "leave a copy of messges on the server" which is to download mails on local disk or keep it on server as per our requirement.

When you setup the pop3 account there is a button More Settings > a tab Advanced > If you check only Leave a copy of messages on the server then the outlook will download once the messages but not delete the messages form the server. If you select also the flag Remove from server after x days than the messages will be deleted form the server after X days.

I usually put a 30 days for the messages to be kept on the server and full daily backups of the zimbra server.

Thanks for reply. yes our current client using this option only...but my question was once user UNCHECK "leave a copy on the server" option do send / recevie then it will get deleted from server and getting store in local disk. If there mail box gets full then we have to informed them to follow this steps...

our new client going to use IMAP...and in that case they have to drag and drop the mails from SERVER folder to LOCAL /PERSONAL folder in case of mail box full ...and once they drop that it will get delete from server...

petricag is offline Member

This is how I made the backup of emails for on of my client. Is "primitive" but is working with no influence over the users.
    For each account I created a mail forward to a backup email e.g. backup@domain.name. For every email that comes to a mail account a copy of it is sent to this backup account.
    On a XP machine I am running Outlook Express with POP3 on this account, I have created a folder for each user and a rule for each account. When the mail gets to this machine the rule is placing the mail to its proper folder. Each folder is a dbx file; all files can further be backup up like normal files. Of course the XP can be replacing with any Linux distro running a thunderbird instance. In my case my client had an XP license so …
    Further more a full server backup is made each night for the entire zimbra server, the backup is sent to an internal ftp server for storage.

This solution above is feasible for a server with < 100 clients I would say. For more I would not use this solution!
    Last edited by petricag; 03-25-2009 at 02:10 AM.

hey thanks for reply...
    ya your this suggestion is really nice but yes applicable for small zimbra setup. in our case in near future we will have around 4000 accounts..

But yes for special users i can think about this solution and any domain which is having less account

phoenix is offline Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

hey thanks for reply...
    ya your this suggestion is really nice but yes applicable for small zimbra setup. in our case in near future we will have around 4000 accounts..

But yes for special users i can think about this solution and any domain which is having less account
    If you want to archive all the mail on the server then use MailArchiva as mentioned earlier. That solution is free but advanced professional solutions to this problem will cost you money.

Thanks for reply. yes our current client using this option only...but my question was once user UNCHECK "leave a copy on the server" option do send / recevie then it will get deleted from server and getting store in local disk. If there mail box gets full then we have to informed them to follow this steps..
    Why do you think Zimbra should keep a copy of the email once a user has unchecked the 'leave a copy on the server'. That's what an archive system is for. Once Zimbra is told to delete a message or not leave a copy on the server then it will obey those commands and remove the email. You could be really extravagant and get more HD storage. Storage and archive policy of your system is your responsibility.
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information