Thread: Spamassassin scores not updating

peng1can is offline Senior Member

Default Spamassassin scores not updating

I hate to ask about this because it should be so simple, but I've been fighting this for 2 days now with no luck. I recently moved my server to new hardware, and ever since then none of my custom scores work in spamassassin anymore. A few examples are:

score URIBL_JP_SURBL 3.0
    score URIBL_WS_SURBL 3.0
    score URIBL_AB_SURBL 3.0

I've tried these in both /opt/zimbra/conf/salocal.cf.in and /opt/zimbra/conf/spamassassin/local.cf to no avail. The permissions on the files appear to be reasonable:
    -r--r----- 1 zimbra zimbra 4881 Mar 11 17:38 /opt/zimbra/conf/salocal.cf
    -r--r--r-- 1 zimbra zimbra 5488 Mar 11 09:25 /opt/zimbra/conf/spamassassin/local.cf

I've tried commenting out sections of my custom scores a bit at a time to ensure there's not a typo anywhere throwing off the entire file, and I've not found anything that way either. The really perplexing bit is that my whitelist lines seem to be working, so it must be something I'm doing wrong the with score lines and I'm just not seeing it. Any help would be appreciated!

On a barely-related note... does anyone have a spamassassin rule that will match an email address (preferrably the recipient's own address) in the subject line of an email. At least 75% of the spam I'm getting lately has my email in the subject line.

uxbod is offline Moderator

Make the changes to /opt/zimbra/conf/salocal.cf.in and then restart ZCS. salocal.cf gets over-written everytime ZCS is restarted, so to be persistent you need to update the .in file. Note, that when you upgrade they will be over-written aswell so keep a diff file handy

From my post... "I've tried these in both /opt/zimbra/conf/salocal.cf.in and /opt/zimbra/conf/spamassassin/local.cf to no avail."

I guess I didn't mention it, but yes I restart the services on the mta box after every change as well.

Can a defective rule somewhere up in the chain cause this? I'm downloading a handful of rule sets through sa-update.

uxbod is offline Moderator

It shouldn't IMHO ... do you have SA installed on the server so that you can run it through with -D and --lint ???

spamassassin --lint --siteconfigpath /opt/zimbra/conf/spamassassin/ currently passes fine (I've still got my modifications in /opt/zimbra/conf/spamassassin/salocal.cf... unless there's a good reason not too, I'll probably leave it there based on dmwtractor's recommendations).

I've verified that custom rules and whitelists I place in either location work fine, but score adjustments do not.

There was a bug along these lines a while ago, but that was resolved a few versions back, and I'd expect to see others complaining if there was still a bug floating around. Anyone have any other reasons why the score adjustments won't take?

devries is offline New Member

You aren't the only one seeing it.

Previously, changes in salocal.cf.in for me made it into salocal.cf, but not into /otp/zimbra/conf/spamassassin/local.cf.

Now the changes don't even propagate from salocal.cf.in to salocal.cf, nor did local.cf reflect the zimbra default settings on an initial install on our test box with 5.0.13 as a clean install.

Thread Information