Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Multiple Companies

dmorin is offline New Member

Default Multiple Companies

I have a few companies that I support and I would like to have all of them running off of one zimbra server. I have a few questions if anyone has been in this situation before:

What should I do about usernames? If I have multiple companies with multiple domains, but there are duplicate usernames among the orgs. For example, is I have TestUser@test1.com and TestUser@test2.com and they are different users, can I make the same username? If I can, how will they login to webmail? If I can't, I'll have to use something like TestUser.test1.com for the username and define an alias correct? Less than ideal...

Is the GAL limited to only the same domain or everyone?

Is there a way to define an admin for an individual domain so they can admin their own company?

I'm going through the documentation and testing as fast as I can, but I can't seem to get answers to these. Thanks in advance.

Alright, I figured out a few of these things from myself...sorry for wasting time.

I can use the same username, and just need to login with the full email address including the @.

The GAL appears to be limited to onl people in that domain.

I'm still not sure about defining an admin for an individual domain, so if anyone knows I would appreciate some insight.

Now that I know how accounts are stored in LDAP with duplicate uids in multiple roots, it's going to be more difficult getting other things to authenticate to it. Any suggestions?

KevinH is offline Expert Member

Quote Originally Posted by dmorin
    I'm still not sure about defining an admin for an individual domain, so if anyone knows I would appreciate some insight.
    This is a feature in the Network Edition.

Quote Originally Posted by dmorin
    Now that I know how accounts are stored in LDAP with duplicate uids in multiple roots, it's going to be more difficult getting other things to authenticate to it. Any suggestions?
    Not sure what you are asking here. Do you mean kevin@foo.com and kevin@bar.com? If so you just need to use the full domain to login. In the future we'll add virtual host support so going to mail.foo.com will default to @foo.com and mail.bar.com will default to @bar.com
    Looking for new beta users -> Co-Founder of Acompli. Previously worked at Zimbra (and Yahoo! & VMware) since 2005.

KevinH, thanks for writing back.

The second thing you quoted refers to getting other applications like CRM and IM systems to use the same LDAP directory to authenticate. Most applications with built-in LDAP auth modules will not work well this this type of setup since they reqire a single basedn to be entered for all users.

Zimbra is great! Keep up the good work!

amerali is offline Starter Member

dmorin, I wonder if you can help me on this as I too have a simliar situation and I'd like to understand exactly what you did to address it.

phoenix is online now Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by amerali
    dmorin, I wonder if you can help me on this as I too have a simliar situation and I'd like to understand exactly what you did to address it.
    They are just user accounts in different doamains (you can have multipe domains on one Zimbra server). If user1 belongs to domain (company) x.com & y.com then the user logs in using the full domain name ie user1@x.com or user1@y.com - you always use the full domain name to login to Zimbra.
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

mbeckman is offline New Member

Default I got duplicate logins to work for POP3, but not SMTP

I have duplicate user names (jdoe@x.com, jdoe@y.com), and I can log in with each via POP3 using the full email address as the user name. However, when I try to use authentiated SMTP (using Apple's Mail program in MacOSX 10.4.6) I can't authenticate. Nothing obvious in the logs, and nothing showed up in a search of the Zimbra forums. The Apple client authenticates to my CommuniGate Pro mail server without problems. I haven't tried other mail clients yet.

gmsmith is offline Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by mbeckman
    I have duplicate user names (jdoe@x.com, jdoe@y.com), and I can log in with each via POP3 using the full email address as the user name. However, when I try to use authentiated SMTP (using Apple's Mail program in MacOSX 10.4.6) I can't authenticate. Nothing obvious in the logs, and nothing showed up in a search of the Zimbra forums. The Apple client authenticates to my CommuniGate Pro mail server without problems. I haven't tried other mail clients yet.
    I haven't seen this issue. I have two accounts (greg.smith@) with different domains and they work just fine in Mail.app with outbound smtp. I don't recall having to do anything special for it to work and see nothing strange in my account setups on Mail.app

mbeckman is offline New Member

Are you using SMTP authentication? It works for me without authentication (where the mail server permits the SMTP relay based on the user being in the same subnet as the mail server), but for remote users trying to send from the outside, authentication fails.

-mel

gmsmith is offline Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by mbeckman
    Are you using SMTP authentication? It works for me without authentication (where the mail server permits the SMTP relay based on the user being in the same subnet as the mail server), but for remote users trying to send from the outside, authentication fails.

-mel
    Yes, I am using SMTP authentication (SSL even)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information