Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: zimbra server status

chandu is offline Elite Member

Default zimbra server status

Hi,

After zimbra upgrade from zcs 4.5 10 to zcs 5.0.13 for 2-3 days i was getting zimbra server status on admin console but from 3-4 days I am getting below message :

server status data is not availble. To see the server status, logger service must be installed.

But I have installed all service except IMAP and POP Proxy. All services are running. logger service is also running and every mid night all services are getting restarted due to backup.

I ran zmsyslogsetup but getting below output.

[root@mail libexec]# /opt/zimbra/bin/zmsyslogsetup
    syslogd: no process killed
    [root@mail libexec]#

We are using Rsyslog service instead of built-in syslog. we have removed syslog and installed Rsyslog. we have centralised Rsyslog server to collect all servers' log. is it make any difference ?

Please suggest.

Thanks

hi,

Yesterday automatically server status was page was showing correct status for whole day and now this morning again i am getting same error message as mentioned in previous post.

please help.

Thanks

uxbod is offline Moderator

What is the output from
    Code:
    su - zimbra
    zmcontrol status

Blinkiz is offline Senior Member

Same problem here. Am gonna search around for a while and see if I find something about this.

My output is
    Code:
    zimbra@mail:~$ zmcontrol status
    Host mail.mydomain.info
    	antispam                Running
    	antivirus               Running
    	ldap                    Running
    	logger                  Running
    	mailbox                 Running
    	mta                     Running
    	snmp                    Running
    	spell                   Running
    	stats                   Running

Looked at a bunch of these threads here on forum but they are all old. Was one problem about logging server was not stopped, but that was fixed in 5.0.12. I have 5.0.13.
    So what I have found out, is that, or at least 4.5.x, needed apps like cron, logrotate, psmisc and slocate. None of these is installed on my machine. Can this be the problem? What log file should I look in to see if this really are the problem?

I installed Ubuntu 8.04 JeOS (Just Enough OperatingSystem). On this installation, I installed man, wget, nano and openssh-server before I runned the zimbra open source edition 5.0.13 and installed the dependence it said it required.
    Does it exist more depedences?! If so, where can I find a depedence list?

Hi,

the status is as below :

[zimbra@mail ~]$ zmcontrol status
    Host mail.abc.in
    antispam Running
    antivirus Running
    ldap Running
    logger Running
    mailbox Running
    mta Running
    snmp Running
    spell Running
    stats Running
    [zimbra@mail ~]$

i have installed all required packages. and with older version 4.5.10 i never seen such a issue. but after upgradation i found it. I think its not able to sync with logger ..and one more thing i m using RSYSLOG ..so does it make any difference ?

thanks

sn00p is offline Active Member

We encounered such problem a few times.
    1. Check system utilities to be installed. Cron, logrotate, psmisc and slocate as mentioned below.
    2. Syslogd works fine but other logging daemons need hard tuning. We use syslog-ng. It has more feauters than standart syslogd. But it is slightly difficult to configure link between Zimbra and syslog-ng. For minimal hand-made changes we suggest using syslogd.
    Nevertheless I could post config file example for syslog-ng if you are interested.
    3. Memory lack problems. Be sure that you have enough memory onboard.
    4. Sometimes net subsystem need carefull tuning (/etc/sysctl.conf in debian-based system)

UPD:
    I guess checking of installed essential system utilities (cron and so on) need to be added to install script to avoid such problems.
    If cron is missing before Zimbra installation, Zimbra install script couldn't add necessary commands to crontab. After cron installing you have to reinstall Zimbra as well.
    Last edited by sn00p; 03-04-2009 at 10:25 PM.
    With best regards,

sn00p is offline Active Member

Cron problems and so on.
    Bug 33511 – installer does not check for existence of cron

Please vote for this bug.
    With best regards,

Default All packages for ubuntu 8.04 jeos.

The list below contains ALL packages that are installed when doing installation of Ubuntu 8.04 JeOS. This can be good to know when creating the dependences list.
    So, what packages needs to be added to get zimbra working optimal?

Also, check out bug 33511 that discuss this. Add something yourself!
    Code:
    blinkiz@laptop:~$ sudo dpkg -l
    Desired=Unknown/Install/Remove/Purge/Hold
    | Status=Not/Installed/Config-f/Unpacked/Failed-cfg/Half-inst/t-aWait/T-pend
    |/ Err?=(none)/Hold/Reinst-required/X=both-problems (Status,Err: uppercase=bad)
    ||/ Name                                   Version                     Description
    +++-======================================-===========================-============================================
    ii  adduser                                3.105ubuntu1                add and remove users and groups
    ii  apt                                    0.7.9ubuntu17.1             Advanced front-end for dpkg
    ii  apt-utils                              0.7.9ubuntu17.1             APT utility programs
    ii  aptitude                               0.4.9-2ubuntu5              terminal-based package manager
    ii  base-files                             4.0.1ubuntu5.8.04.4         Debian base system miscellaneous files
    ii  base-passwd                            3.5.16                      Debian base system master password and group
    ii  bash                                   3.2-0ubuntu18               The GNU Bourne Again SHell
    ii  belocs-locales-bin                     2.4-2.2ubuntu7              tools for compiling locale data files
    ii  bsdutils                               1:2.13.1-5ubuntu3           Basic utilities from 4.4BSD-Lite
    ii  busybox-initramfs                      1:1.1.3-5ubuntu12           Standalone shell setup for initramfs
    ii  bzip2                                  1.0.4-2ubuntu4              high-quality block-sorting file compressor -
    ii  console-setup                          1.21ubuntu9                 Set up the font and the keyboard on the cons
    ii  console-terminus                       4.20-6                      Fixed-width fonts for fast reading on the Li
    ii  console-tools                          1:0.2.3dbs-65ubuntu7        Linux console and font utilities
    ii  coreutils                              6.10-3ubuntu2               The GNU core utilities
    ii  cpio                                   2.9-6ubuntu1                GNU cpio -- a program to manage archives of 
    ii  dash                                   0.5.4-8ubuntu1              POSIX-compliant shell
    ii  debconf                                1.5.20                      Debian configuration management system
    ii  debconf-i18n                           1.5.20                      full internationalization support for debcon
    ii  debianutils                            2.28.2-0ubuntu1             Miscellaneous utilities specific to Debian
    ii  dhcp3-client                           3.0.6.dfsg-1ubuntu9         DHCP client
    ii  dhcp3-common                           3.0.6.dfsg-1ubuntu9         common files used by all the dhcp3* packages
    ii  diff                                   2.8.1-12ubuntu1             File comparison utilities
    ii  dmidecode                              2.9-1ubuntu1                Dump Desktop Management Interface data
    ii  dpkg                                   1.14.16.6ubuntu4            package maintenance system for Debian
    ii  e2fslibs                               1.40.8-2ubuntu2             ext2 filesystem libraries
    ii  e2fsprogs                              1.40.8-2ubuntu2             ext2 file system utilities and libraries
    ii  eject                                  2.1.5-6ubuntu1              ejects CDs and operates CD-Changers under Li
    ii  ethtool                                6-0                         display or change ethernet card settings
    ii  findutils                              4.2.32-1ubuntu2             utilities for finding files--find, xargs
    ii  gcc-4.2-base                           4.2.4-1ubuntu3              The GNU Compiler Collection (base package)
    ii  gettext-base                           0.17-2ubuntu1               GNU Internationalization utilities for the b
    ii  gnupg                                  1.4.6-2ubuntu5              GNU privacy guard - a free PGP replacement
    ii  gpgv                                   1.4.6-2ubuntu5              GNU privacy guard - signature verification t
    ii  grep                                   2.5.3~dfsg-3                GNU grep, egrep and fgrep
    ii  grub                                   0.97-29ubuntu21.1           GRand Unified Bootloader
    ii  gzip                                   1.3.12-3.2                  The GNU compression utility
    ii  hostname                               2.94                        utility to set/show the host name or domain 
    ii  ifupdown                               0.6.8ubuntu8                high level tools to configure network interf
    ii  initramfs-tools                        0.85eubuntu39.3             tools for generating an initramfs
    ii  initscripts                            2.86.ds1-14.1ubuntu45       Scripts for initializing and shutting down t
    ii  installation-report                    2.31ubuntu1                 system installation report
    ii  iproute                                20071016-2ubuntu2           Professional tools to control the networking
    ii  iputils-ping                           3:20071127-1                Tools to test the reachability of network ho
    ii  klibc-utils                            1.5.7-4ubuntu4              small statically-linked utilities built with
    ii  klogd                                  1.5-1ubuntu1                Kernel Logging Daemon
    ii  laptop-detect                          0.13.2ubuntu1               attempt to detect a laptop
    ii  less                                   418-1                       Pager program similar to more
    ii  libacl1                                2.2.45-1                    Access control list shared library
    ii  libatm1                                2.4.1-17.1build1            shared library for ATM (Asynchronous Transfe
    ii  libattr1                               1:2.4.39-1                  Extended attribute shared library
    ii  libblkid1                              1.40.8-2ubuntu2             block device id library
    ii  libbz2-1.0                             1.0.4-2ubuntu4              high-quality block-sorting file compressor l
    ii  libc6                                  2.7-10ubuntu4               GNU C Library: Shared libraries
    ii  libc6-i686                             2.7-10ubuntu4               GNU C Library: Shared libraries [i686 optimi
    ii  libcap1                                1:1.10-14build1             support for getting/setting POSIX.1e capabil
    ii  libcomerr2                             1.40.8-2ubuntu2             common error description library
    ii  libconsole                             1:0.2.3dbs-65ubuntu7        Shared libraries for Linux console and font 
    ii  libcurl3-gnutls                        7.18.0-1ubuntu2             Multi-protocol file transfer library (GnuTLS
    ii  libcwidget3                            0.5.8-1ubuntu1              high-level terminal interface library for C+
    ii  libdb4.6                               4.6.21-6ubuntu1             Berkeley v4.6 Database Libraries [runtime]
    ii  libdbus-1-3                            1.1.20-1ubuntu3.2           simple interprocess messaging system
    ii  libdevmapper1.02.1                     2:1.02.20-2ubuntu2          The Linux Kernel Device Mapper userspace lib
    ii  libfribidi0                            0.10.9-1                    Free Implementation of the Unicode BiDi algo
    ii  libgcc1                                1:4.2.4-1ubuntu3            GCC support library
    ii  libgcrypt11                            1.2.4-2ubuntu7              LGPL Crypto library - runtime library
    ii  libgnutls13                            2.0.4-1ubuntu2.3            the GNU TLS library - runtime library
    ii  libgpg-error0                          1.4-2ubuntu7                library for common error values and messages
    ii  libidn11                               1.1-1                       GNU libidn library, implementation of IETF I
    ii  libiw29                                29-1ubuntu2                 Wireless tools - library
    ii  libkeyutils1                           1.2-4                       Linux Key Management Utilities (library)
    ii  libklibc                               1.5.7-4ubuntu4              minimal libc subset for use with initramfs
    ii  libkrb53                               1.6.dfsg.3~beta1-2ubuntu1   MIT Kerberos runtime libraries
    ii  libldap-2.4-2                          2.4.9-0ubuntu0.8.04.1       OpenLDAP libraries
    ii  liblocale-gettext-perl                 1.05-2ubuntu1               Using libc functions for internationalizatio
    ii  liblzo2-2                              2.02-3                      data compression library
    ii  libncurses5                            5.6+20071124-1ubuntu2       Shared libraries for terminal handling
    ii  libncursesw5                           5.6+20071124-1ubuntu2       Shared libraries for terminal handling (wide
    ii  libnewt0.52                            0.52.2-11.2ubuntu1          Not Erik's Windowing Toolkit - text mode win
    ii  libopencdk10                           0.6.6-1ubuntu1              Open Crypto Development Kit (OpenCDK) (runti
    ii  libpam-modules                         0.99.7.1-5ubuntu6.1         Pluggable Authentication Modules for PAM
    ii  libpam-runtime                         0.99.7.1-5ubuntu6.1         Runtime support for the PAM library
    ii  libpam0g                               0.99.7.1-5ubuntu6.1         Pluggable Authentication Modules library
    ii  libpopt0                               1.10-3build1                lib for parsing cmdline parameters
    ii  libreadline5                           5.2-3build1                 GNU readline and history libraries, run-time
    ii  libsasl2-2                             2.1.22.dfsg1-18ubuntu2      Cyrus SASL - authentication abstraction libr
    ii  libsasl2-modules                       2.1.22.dfsg1-18ubuntu2      Cyrus SASL - pluggable authentication module
    ii  libselinux1                            2.0.55-0ubuntu4             SELinux policy enforcement, run-time librari
    ii  libsepol1                              2.0.20-0ubuntu3             SELinux binary policy, run-time library
    ii  libsigc++-2.0-0c2a                     2.0.17-2ubuntu3             type-safe Signal Framework for C++ - runtime
    ii  libslang2                              2.1.3-2                     The S-Lang programming library - runtime ver
    ii  libsqlite3-0                           3.4.2-2                     SQLite 3 shared library
    ii  libss2                                 1.40.8-2ubuntu2             command-line interface parsing library
    ii  libssl0.9.8                            0.9.8g-4ubuntu3.4           SSL shared libraries
    ii  libstdc++6                             4.2.4-1ubuntu3              The GNU Standard C++ Library v3
    ii  libsysfs2                              2.1.0-4                     interface library to sysfs
    ii  libtasn1-3                             1.1-1                       Manage ASN.1 structures (runtime)
    ii  libtext-charwidth-perl                 0.04-4build1                get display widths of characters on the term
    ii  libtext-iconv-perl                     1.4-3                       converts between character sets in Perl
    ii  libtext-wrapi18n-perl                  0.06-5                      internationalized substitute of Text::Wrap
    ii  libusb-0.1-4                           2:0.1.12-8                  userspace USB programming library
    ii  libuuid1                               1.40.8-2ubuntu2             universally unique id library
    ii  libvolume-id0                          117-8                       volume identification library
    ii  libwrap0                               7.6.dbs-14                  Wietse Venema's TCP wrappers library
    ii  linux-image-2.6.24-23-virtual          2.6.24-23.46                Linux kernel image for version 2.6.24 on x86
    ii  linux-image-virtual                    2.6.24.23.25                Description: Linux kernel image geared towar
    ii  linux-ubuntu-modules-2.6.24-23-virtual 2.6.24-23.36                Ubuntu supplied Linux modules for version 2.
    ii  locales                                2.7.9-4                     common files for locale support
    ii  login                                  1:4.0.18.2-1ubuntu2.2       system login tools
    ii  lsb-base                               3.2-4ubuntu1                Linux Standard Base 3.2 init script function
    ii  lsb-release                            3.2-4ubuntu1                Linux Standard Base version reporting utilit
    ii  lzma                                   4.43-12ubuntu1              Compression method of 7z format in 7-Zip pro
    ii  makedev                                2.3.1-84ubuntu1             creates device files in /dev
    ii  mawk                                   1.3.3-11ubuntu2             a pattern scanning and text processing langu
    ii  mii-diag                               2.11-2                      A little tool to manipulate network cards
    ii  mime-support                           3.39-1ubuntu1               MIME files 'mime.types' & 'mailcap', and sup
    ii  mktemp                                 1.5-5ubuntu2                Makes unique filenames for temporary files
    ii  module-init-tools                      3.3-pre11-4ubuntu5.8.04.1   tools for managing Linux kernel modules
    ii  mount                                  2.13.1-5ubuntu3             Tools for mounting and manipulating filesyst
    ii  ncurses-base                           5.6+20071124-1ubuntu2       Descriptions of common terminal types
    ii  ncurses-bin                            5.6+20071124-1ubuntu2       Terminal-related programs and man pages
    ii  net-tools                              1.60-19ubuntu1              The NET-3 networking toolkit
    ii  netbase                                4.30ubuntu1                 Basic TCP/IP networking system
    ii  netcat                                 1.10-36                     TCP/IP swiss army knife -- transitional pack
    ii  netcat-traditional                     1.10-36                     TCP/IP swiss army knife
    ii  ntpdate                                1:4.2.4p4+dfsg-3ubuntu2.1   client for setting system time from NTP serv
    ii  passwd                                 1:4.0.18.2-1ubuntu2.2       change and administer password and group dat
    ii  pciutils                               1:2.2.4-1.1ubuntu6          Linux PCI Utilities
    ii  pcmciautils                            014-4ubuntu1                PCMCIA utilities for Linux 2.6
    ii  perl-base                              5.8.8-12ubuntu0.4           The Pathologically Eclectic Rubbish Lister
    ii  procps                                 1:3.2.7-5ubuntu3            /proc file system utilities
    ii  python                                 2.5.2-0ubuntu1              An interactive high-level object-oriented la
    ii  python-minimal                         2.5.2-0ubuntu1              A minimal subset of the Python language (def
    ii  python2.5                              2.5.2-2ubuntu4.1            An interactive high-level object-oriented la
    ii  python2.5-minimal                      2.5.2-2ubuntu4.1            A minimal subset of the Python language (ver
    ii  readline-common                        5.2-3build1                 GNU readline and history libraries, common f
    ii  sed                                    4.1.5-5                     The GNU sed stream editor
    ii  startup-tasks                          0.3.9-2                     definitions of essential tasks to run on sta
    ii  sudo                                   1.6.9p10-1ubuntu3.3         Provide limited super user privileges to spe
    ii  sysklogd                               1.5-1ubuntu1                System Logging Daemon
    ii  system-services                        0.3.9-2                     definitions of essential system services
    ii  sysv-rc                                2.86.ds1-14.1ubuntu45       System-V-like runlevel change mechanism
    ii  sysvutils                              2.86.ds1-14.1ubuntu45       System-V-like utilities
    ii  tar                                    1.19-3                      GNU version of the tar archiving utility
    ii  tasksel                                2.70ubuntu5                 Tool for selecting tasks for installation on
    ii  tasksel-data                           2.70ubuntu5                 Official tasks used for installation of Debi
    ii  tcpd                                   7.6.dbs-14                  Wietse Venema's TCP wrapper utilities
    ii  tzdata                                 2008h-0ubuntu0.8.04.1       time zone and daylight-saving time data
    ii  ubuntu-keyring                         2008.03.04                  GnuPG keys of the Ubuntu archive
    ii  ubuntu-minimal                         1.102                       Minimal core of Ubuntu
    ii  ucf                                    3.005                       Update Configuration File: preserve user cha
    ii  udev                                   117-8                       rule-based device node and kernel event mana
    ii  update-inetd                           4.27-0.6                    inetd.conf updater
    ii  upstart                                0.3.9-2                     event-based init daemon
    ii  upstart-compat-sysv                    0.3.9-2                     compatibility for System-V-like init
    ii  upstart-logd                           0.3.9-2                     boot logging daemon
    ii  usbutils                               0.73-5ubuntu2               Linux USB utilities
    ii  util-linux                             2.13.1-5ubuntu3             Miscellaneous system utilities
    ii  util-linux-locales                     2.13.1-5ubuntu3             Locales files for util-linux
    ii  uuid-runtime                           1.40.8-2ubuntu2             universally unique id library
    ii  vim-common                             1:7.1-138+1ubuntu3.1        Vi IMproved - Common files
    ii  vim-tiny                               1:7.1-138+1ubuntu3.1        Vi IMproved - enhanced vi editor - compact v
    ii  whiptail                               0.52.2-11.2ubuntu1          Displays user-friendly dialog boxes from she
    ii  wireless-tools                         29-1ubuntu2                 Tools for manipulating Linux Wireless Extens
    ii  wpasupplicant                          0.6.0+0.5.8-0ubuntu2        Client support for WPA and WPA2 (IEEE 802.11
    ii  xkb-data                               1.1~cvs.20080104.1-1ubuntu8 X Keyboard Extension (XKB) configuration dat
    ii  zlib1g                                 1:1.2.3.3.dfsg-7ubuntu1     compression library - runtime

cryptogram is offline Active Member

Quote Originally Posted by chandu View Post
    hi,

Yesterday automatically server status was page was showing correct status for whole day and now this morning again i am getting same error message as mentioned in previous post.

please help.

Thanks
    logrotate is not setting the proper owner:group. Edit /etc/logrotate.d/zimbra and change:

Code:
    /var/log/zimbra.log {
        daily
        missingok
        notifempty
        create 0644 zimbra zimbra
        postrotate
          killall -HUP syslogd 2> /dev/null || true
          kill -HUP `cat /opt/zimbra/log/swatch.pid 2> /dev/null` 2> /dev/null || true
          kill -HUP `cat /opt/zimbra/log/logswatch.pid 2> /dev/null` 2> /dev/null || true
        endscript
        compress
    }
    to

Code:
    /var/log/zimbra.log {
        daily
        missingok
        notifempty
        create 0644 syslog adm
        postrotate
          killall -HUP syslogd 2> /dev/null || true
          kill -HUP `cat /opt/zimbra/log/swatch.pid 2> /dev/null` 2> /dev/null || true
          kill -HUP `cat /opt/zimbra/log/logswatch.pid 2> /dev/null` 2> /dev/null || true
        endscript
        compress
    }
    Last edited by cryptogram; 03-06-2009 at 10:45 AM. Reason: corrected admin to adm

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information