Thread: Migrating users over time

denisb is offline Active Member

Default Migrating users over time

Hi,

New to the forum and quite new to Zimbra, although I have followed the project since I first heard of it when you launched.

I am now in the process of migrating our company from a basic postfix, pop3, horde webmail setup to Zimbra. While everything so far has worked out fine and I am very close to actually moving users there is one thing I can't seem to find info on.

We are going to use a split domain setup with Zimbra as the authorative master and our old server as the slave. I setup forwarding for all the old accounts as detailed by the Wiki document, and then gradually move user by user to the new server.

However I havent yet found a description on how to "enable" a user in Zimbra that was previously forwarded with :
    Code:
    zmprov ma bar@example.com zimbraMailTransport smtp:mail.example.com
    That is, once I am ready to move the user to the new server, how do I disable the forwarding to the slave? Excuse me if this is a stupid question, I did search the forum and the docs before asking. Maybe I was looking in the wrong places..

Thanks
    --
    Denis

KevinH is offline Expert Member

Welcome!

Just reset the value to use LMTP to your Zimbra host. So like:
    Code:
    zmprov ma bar@example.com zimbraMailTransport lmtp:ZIMBRA_SERVER_NAME
    Looking for new beta users -> Co-Founder of Acompli. Previously worked at Zimbra (and Yahoo! & VMware) since 2005.

soxfan is offline Moderator

I have a similar question, except I setup the Zimbra server as the Slave using the zmprov commands in the Split Domain wiki. Eventually when I migrate all my users over, the Zimbra server will be the one and only email server. What commands do I need to execute to undo the actions from the previous zmprov commands?

Quote Originally Posted by soxfan
    I have a similar question, except I setup the Zimbra server as the Slave using the zmprov commands in the Split Domain wiki. Eventually when I migrate all my users over, the Zimbra server will be the one and only email server. What commands do I need to execute to undo the actions from the previous zmprov commands?
    As you add accounts to the domain they will receive mail at Zimbra and it will not be forwarded to the old machine. Once all the accounts are provisioned on Zimbra and nobody is accessing the old server to send/receive mail you'll need to update your DNS Mx records. Zimbra was the slave so you need to get routing of mail to hit Zimbra directly. Then remove relay host setting, the mailTransport attr on your domain and finally shut-down the old mail system.
    Looking for new beta users -> Co-Founder of Acompli. Previously worked at Zimbra (and Yahoo! & VMware) since 2005.

soxfan is offline Moderator

OK thanks. But what about the zmprov commands that were done to accept all addresses in the domain as valid ( zimbraMailCatchAllAddress and zimbraMailCatchAllForwardingAddress)? How do you undo these commands? Is it just a matter of reissuing the commands with a null or space value, or is there another way to do it?

Yes you should just set them to empty which should remove them.

Default Thanks

Thanks for an extremely quick and helpful answer. After fiddling around with the ga and --help commands of zmprov I think I understand a lot more also.

Hmm.. Mysteriously I am altering my info like you said, and when checking the account with "ga" I get this:
    Code:
    [zimbra@ms1 log]$ zmprov ga denis@mydomain.domain | grep MailTransport
    zimbraMailTransport: lmtp:zimbraserver.mydomain.domain
    Still when sending mail to myself through the server it is still forwarded to the old slave server.

Me being a relative newbie with this I am not quite sure where to check more detailed logs than just the nice queue display in the webinterface. Thus I am having a bit of difficulty troubleshooting this.

Did you restart tomcat? We do cache that info for some time. Check /var/log/zimbra.log for more info when you retest.

Default Worked

Restarting worked fine. I have a new problem now, but will start a new thread instead as it is of a totally different nature.

Thread Information