Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How to block attachments on a per user basis???

rslrdx is offline Active Member

Default How to block attachments on a per user basis???

Hi and TIA

I'm looking for a way to block a few types of attachments on a per user basis, or some sort of diferential list of users.

Is this even possible? I'm looking through the forums and cant find any indications that it can be done.

zcs-5.0.11_GA_2695.UBUNTU8_64.20081117052616
    Ubuntu 8.04.2

gnyce is offline Advanced Member

Pretty sure that the zimbra admin interface doesn't expose this sort of option. But also reasonably sure that amavisd can do this (which Zimbra uses)... look at the /opt/zimbra/conf/amavisd.conf and amavisd.conf.in

The amavisd.conf contains the settings that zimbra uses, this conf is generated from amavisd.conf.in (everytime you start zimbra, I think) - a few warnings, it is likely that you can mess things up, so tread carefully, and any changes you make will be lost upon upgrades, so you'll want to track them. Good luck!

PS - I'm not a zimbra guru, so some of what I said above could be incorrect. But, I also have used amavisd-new before on a gateway, and tho' I have not done what you are looking for, I've found amavisd to be pretty flexible. So there is your 'caveat emptor'
    Last edited by gnyce; 02-08-2009 at 06:25 PM. Reason: added caveat

i will look into that..

I'm not sure editing the files directly is a good idea on this case, doesnt say anything like it on the wiki and there is very little information on the forums... Does anyone have any ideas? surely other need to be selective about the attachment users can recieve.

gnyce is offline Advanced Member

Not completely true... there are some wiki articles that talk about editing the amavisd.conf.in file...

IP Address whitelisting - Zimbra :: Wiki
    Improving Anti-spam system - Zimbra :: Wiki
    limit number of child processes - Zimbra - Forums

From the author of amavisd
    ... "it is possible to have per-recipient banning rules (through @banned_filename_maps / %banned_rules"

Don't misunderstand, it would take a little fiddling, but it is entirely doable. The alternative is to establish a mail gateway in front of zimbra that does this for you.

Quote Originally Posted by gnyce View Post
    Don't misunderstand, it would take a little fiddling, but it is entirely doable. The alternative is to establish a mail gateway in front of zimbra that does this for you.
    fiddling is prerequisite for open source, but having a mail gateway in front of zimbra seems like a waste of resources by the zimbra package all together... if i need a mail gateway for what i think should be a basic standar option on mail servers, then zimbra is nothing more then a pretty web interface for a mail "reciever".

Well, Thanks, at leasts i know what to look for now... I'm off to find some way to easily edit amavis.

I'm still trying to get this working, but countless hours of google searches are not really getting me anywhere... anyone here trying to do this kind of thing?

jamturtle is offline Member

Maybe I am just butting in but I thought based on working with other mailers this might be a good lead for you. Look in your ldap settings. Back in my previous job we used SUN Java Commincation Suite [awesome suite, but a bit dated] and we defined everything on a user per user basis on the ldap server. We could increase or decrease mail size, exclude files types, define different AV software, etc. I know zimbra uses ldap. I just have not figured out how to edit it yet [when running its own version].
    Or do it by filters on a per user basis [yes its the hard way but probably would work].
    Just trying to help :^)

I just find this very amusing..... there should be a way to easily do this, but by judgin all that i found, i'm pretty much SOL...

Could a Different COS help in any way?

uxbod is offline Moderator

Will investigate this

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information