Thread: [SOLVED] Issue with email address returned by a search in the GAL...

vplanche is offline Junior Member

Default [SOLVED] Issue with email address returned by a search in the GAL...

Hello,

I have an issue with the email address returned when I search the Zimbra GAL for recipients, inside Zimbra Webmail as well as Thunderbird Addressbook.

I'm using ZCS 5.0.12 OpenSource Edition in a multi server configuration, and I have 3 mail domains :

- fr.yy.zz mail domain with authentication using Active Directory domain controllers for French employees; it's where accounts are created
    - us.yy.zz mail domain set exactly like the 1st one for US employees, authenticated against another AD domain; there are accounts also here
    - example.com with internal authentication, containing only aliases pointing to accounts in the domains @fr.yy.zz or @us.yy.zz

Let me call "account mail address" the one in the form <login>@fr.yy.zz (or @us.yy.zz), and the "public mail address" the one in the form <surname>.<name>@example.com (and the only one that must be exposed to Internet).

This allows me to log in using the "public" mail address as login, Zimbra uses the appropriate domain controller to authenticate, that is good.

I carefully configured Canonical addresses in accounts to contain public mail address, as I read in the forum that this is the email that should be "exposed" when searched everywhere in Zimbra.

However, when I try a search (with Thunderbird or with Zimbra Webmail), the email displayed is the account mail address instead of the Canonical address I hoped. The account mail address may be reachable inside the LAN/WAN, but surely not outside.

I've digged inside the Zimbra LDAP and noted that mail attribute corresponding to account mail address appears first in the list, and this may be the reason why this mail address is returned. Is there a way to tell Zimbra to return something else than mail attribute (like maybe zimbraMailAlias) ? I tried to change LDAP search filter in Thunderbird, without success.

I'm luckily in a state where I can break everything if I did something wrong...

Any help would be much appreciated.
    Thank you in advance.

vplanche is offline Junior Member

I found a solution, I changed some setup inside zimbraGalLdapAttrMap this way :

zimbra$ zmprov mcf -zimbraGalLdapAttrMap zimbraMailDeliveryAddress,zimbraMailAlias,mail=ema il,email2,email3,email4,email5,email6,email7,email 8,email9,email10,email11,email12,email13,email14,e mail15,email16
    zimbra$ zmprov mcf +zimbraGalLdapAttrMap zimbraMailCanonicalAddress,zimbraMailAlias,mail=em ail

I ask Zimbra to use zimbraMailCanonicalAddress attribute, then zimbraMailAlias attribute if the first one is empty, then the first mail attribute if the second is also empty (if I clearly understand how it works...) in the email field (that I suppose is returned during a GAL lookup).

After an apparently necessary restart of Zimbra, I now have the canonical mail address displayed in the GAL instead of the zimbraMailDeliveryAddress, in Zimbra Webmail as well as in Thunderbird addressbook, as wanted.

badape is offline Starter Member

Default Zimbra 6

Hello, I've run into the same problem, however I am struggling as

zmprov mcf -zimbraGalLdapAttrMap .. etc

has been removed from the zmprov command, can anyone point me in the right direction?

tdslot is offline Active Member

Quote Originally Posted by vplanche View Post
    I found a solution, I changed some setup inside zimbraGalLdapAttrMap this way :

zimbra$ zmprov mcf -zimbraGalLdapAttrMap zimbraMailDeliveryAddress,zimbraMailAlias,mail=ema il,email2,email3,email4,email5,email6,email7,email 8,email9,email10,email11,email12,email13,email14,e mail15,email16
    zimbra$ zmprov mcf +zimbraGalLdapAttrMap zimbraMailCanonicalAddress,zimbraMailAlias,mail=em ail

I ask Zimbra to use zimbraMailCanonicalAddress attribute, then zimbraMailAlias attribute if the first one is empty, then the first mail attribute if the second is also empty (if I clearly understand how it works...) in the email field (that I suppose is returned during a GAL lookup).

After an apparently necessary restart of Zimbra, I now have the canonical mail address displayed in the GAL instead of the zimbraMailDeliveryAddress, in Zimbra Webmail as well as in Thunderbird addressbook, as wanted.
    Hi vplanche,

Can you explain in more detail how you todo this? I have pritty much the same configuration. Zimbra <---(Auth)---> AD . And account user ir user1@example.org on Zimbra to auth to AD and aour email standar is firstname.lastname@example.org .

In addressbook search no display firstname.lastname@example.org only dispaly user1@example.org email format.

Thread Information