Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Moving to a new machine

zzzzsg is offline Senior Member

Default Moving to a new machine

Hi All

I have at test Zimbra server (3.1 on Fedora 4), but my users have started using it.

Now I have a new machine, and I am installing Zimbra on it. The new machine will have a different host name as the old one.

How can I transfer the mails, calendars, contacts, user accounts, etc. from the old Zimbra server to the new one?

Use backup and restore? But the new machine host name is different from the old one.

Thank you.

gui
    Last edited by zzzzsg; 04-19-2006 at 01:41 PM.

KevinH is offline Expert Member

Will the mail domain be the same? If you have the Network Edition you can use backup and restore. For the OSS Edition you could try a full cold backup of /opt/zimbra and overlay that on the new server assuming they are the exact same Zimbra version. A third option would be to imapsync the mail over.
    Looking for new beta users -> Co-Founder of Acompli. Previously worked at Zimbra (and Yahoo! & VMware) since 2005.

Thanks Kevin.

Yes, the mail domain is the same, but the servername isn't.
    Will this be a problem?

I don't want to change the old server's name to be the same as the new server before doing the cold backup. This is because I have encountered problems after changing server name. Cannot receive mail and Csfe service error after changing server name

Yes, I am already using imapsync to transfer mails from my sendmail/imap-uw server to the test server. The imapsync won't transfer the calendars, contacts, etc.

I am running Zimbra3.1 on Fedora 4.

After changing the server name, my zimbra isn't receiving mails anymore and
    when I log onto the admin console, I get this error:
    Error code: service.FAILURE
    Method: ZmCsfeCommand.invoke
    Details:system failure: could not find zimbraLogHostname server: null

This is how I changed the server name
    in /etc/hosts
    on command prompt : hostname fx030.abc.com <fictitious name)
    in /etc/sysconfig/network
    HOSTNAME="fx030.abc.com"

su -u zimbra
    postconf -e myhostname=fx030.abc.com
    zmcontrol stop
    cd /opt/zimbra
    ./libexec/zmsetservername fx030.abc.com
    zmcontrol start
    postfix reload

Quote Originally Posted by KevinH
    Will the mail domain be the same? If you have the Network Edition you can use backup and restore. For the OSS Edition you could try a full cold backup of /opt/zimbra and overlay that on the new server assuming they are the exact same Zimbra version. A third option would be to imapsync the mail over.

PNE
    PNE is offline Loyal Member

I am planning similar migration. This was discussed in the forums before (install on new server, move opt/zimbra from old one, then reinstall the new one). Kevin, you say it is possible to move OSS to another server with the same zimbra version. But is it possible if new server is different OS and thus different zimbra package? Is it possible to move this way from FC4 to CentOS?

phoenix is online now Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by PNE
    I am planning similar migration. This was discussed in the forums before (install on new server, move opt/zimbra from old one, then reinstall the new one). Kevin, you say it is possible to move OSS to another server with the same zimbra version. But is it possible if new server is different OS and thus different zimbra package? Is it possible to move this way from FC4 to CentOS?
    Yes, it's possible to move to another server using this method but..... make sure the version and release level is the same one on the new server - obviously it will be a different o/s but that shouldn't matter.
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

FunkyPenguin is offline Special Member

I'm looking at moving from CentOS to SUSE, but I'm a bit aprehensive as currently the IM portion doesn't work, and there are 6 users with over 4000+ e-mails. If I did the fresh install>copy /opt/zimbra>run configuration option, would all previous settings be kept?

It looks like because I've upgraded from M2 through each release something got missed and I can't get the IM side of things. I know it's only testing, but it helps demo the product to SMBs that I'm courting.

Yes, as far as I know that should keep all of your settings as it's only an upgrade. Obviously keep a backup of everything.

I don't know what's happened with the IM as I haven't used it, I'm sure one of the Zimbra guys can fill you in abouth that.

Just for my own inetrest, why are you moving from CentOS?
    Regards

Bill

FunkyPenguin is offline Special Member

I may have to look at imapsync or something similar in that case.

I don't think anyone is 100% sure as to what is happening with the IM side of things - I managed to confuse KevinH about it on another thread

I'm looking at moving off of CentOS purely from a consolidation point of view as the real estate is made up of SUSE machines other than the Zimbra box. As such I have grown to like/prefer (love may be too strong a word ) SUSE.

I think the consesus is that imapsync is the solution for this type of exercise.

I'm a new convert to Linux and I've settled n CentOS for the servers and SuSE for workstations. I'm extremely impressed by both of those products and the new 10.1 looks very slick.
    Regards

Bill

The problem is my new machine will not have the same host name as the old machine.

Yes, I have thought of changing the hostname of the old machine to the new hostname before moving the /opt/zimbra out of it.

But I've tried changing hostname using ./libexec/zmsetservername
    and it gave problems after that.

So only one person here has done it successfully? Changing Your Hostname

Quote Originally Posted by PNE

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information