Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Migration from Exchange

zuez is offline Junior Member

Default Migration from Exchange

Hi all,

Has anyone ever tried a migration without using the Zimbra proprietary software? I can export our active directory / Exchange users manually. We are not currently redundant in our exchange environment and a little hesitant to installing third party software on here.

Any suggestions are welcome.

Thank you!

marcmac is offline Expert Member

You can script the user creation (search the forums) and use imapsync to pull the mail (search the forums).
    Bugzilla - Wiki - Downloads - Before posting... Search!

Thanks for the prompt reply. I get thorough search hits for imapsync, however not much information on the script you're referring to. Is it possible to export the user list from Active Directory and import it to Zimbra directly?

I can worry about importing the actual mail boxes after the accounts are created ..

KevinH is offline Expert Member

Any reason you don't want to use the Exchange Migration tool?
    Looking for new beta users -> Co-Founder of Acompli. Previously worked at Zimbra (and Yahoo! & VMware) since 2005.

sam
    sam is offline Zimbra Employee

there are a couple benefits to using the migration tool

* messages are inserted in the correct order so that conversations are built properly

* there is a continue-from-where-you-left-off-from feature so that you can resume from where you left off if anything goes wrong

* you can apply filters to the import (dont import junk mail, date filter, etc)
    Sam Khavari

:: :: [ Zimbra ] :: :: [ Bugzilla ] :: :: [ Product Portal ] :: :: [ Wiki ] :: :: [ Downloads ] :: :: [ . ] ::

Our exchange/active directory environment is on one server without a failover, so paranoia is the only reasoning for not using the migration tool. Fortunately we only have ~90 users and about 20 distribution groups. I'm looking for a way to create just the users/distribution groups without running anything on the AD environment.

Quote Originally Posted by zuez
    Our exchange/active directory environment is on one server without a failover, so paranoia is the only reasoning for not using the migration tool. Fortunately we only have ~90 users and about 20 distribution groups. I'm looking for a way to create just the users/distribution groups without running anything on the AD environment.
    You can use zmprov to batch create these assuming you have the data.
    Looking for new beta users -> Co-Founder of Acompli. Previously worked at Zimbra (and Yahoo! & VMware) since 2005.

prajjwal is offline Starter Member

Just wondering, has anyone managed a successful migration? How did you migrate calendars: just by export/import of each user's account, or by some other method?

Quote Originally Posted by prajjwal
    Just wondering, has anyone managed a successful migration? How did you migrate calendars: just by export/import of each user's account, or by some other method?
    Many many customers have and I'm sure there are similar stories in the community. We have a migration wizard that will automate the mail/contacts/calendar migration.

prajjwal is offline Starter Member

Hi Kevin, thanks for your reply. The reason I was wondering is because I was having a look at the Zimbra wiki, particularly the page on the migration wizard (http://wiki.zimbra.com/index.php?tit...gration_Wizard), and saw the following:

Note: Only email messages and contacts are imported from Outlook. Other Outlook types, such as meeting requests, calendar entries, notes, tasks, rules and alerts, and files are not imported.

So are you saying that calendars can be exported now? That sounds good, but then, does it also means the wiki has to be updated?

Thanks,
    Prajjwal

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information