Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: ZCS 3.1 upgrade

bin2hex is offline Intermediate Member

Default I have this issue to

I also have the exact same error

The LDAP service starts but I get this

Starting ldap...Done
    Setting defaults from ldap...ERROR: service.FAILURE (system failure: unable to lookup server by name: zimbramail.DOMAIN.TLD) (cause: javax.naming.NamingException [LDAP: error code 80 - internal error])
    ERROR: service.FAILURE (system failure: unable to lookup server by name: zimbramail.DOMAIN.TLD) (cause: javax.naming.NamingException [LDAP: error code 80 - internal error])

I thought it might be because I had the wrong search in my ect/resolv.conf

IE was

search localdomain

now its

search DOMAIN.TLD

and now the host command works nicley but I still get the name resolution error

:-/

hootjr29 is offline Active Member

Default tried with rereleased 3.1_332 and same issues exists

Well, I resolved this problem by resorting to a VM that I had backed up before attempting the upgrade (I just pause the VMware Server VM, then copy directory contents of that VM, then unpause the VM). Therefore I was able to get back to a running zimbra server at 3.0.0_GA_156.

Today, I downloaded the latest 3.1.0_GA_332 release for FC4. I ran through the exact same steps. I ran into the exact same issues:

1) First run through -- install.sh bombs out on the following:
    Code:
    Restoring existing configuration file from /opt/zimbra/.saveconfig/config.save...done
    Operations logged to /tmp/zmsetup.log.1718
    Setting defaults...Setting defaults from existing config...Done
    Upgrading from 3.0.0_GA_156 to 3.1.0_GA_332
    Mon Apr 17 13:01:24 2006: Stopping zimbra services
    Mon Apr 17 13:01:31 2006: Checking mysql status
    Mon Apr 17 13:01:32 2006: Starting mysql
    Mon Apr 17 13:01:34 2006: SELECT value FROM config WHERE name = 'db.version'
    ERROR 2002 (HY000): Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '/opt/zimbra/db/mysql.sock' (2)
    Error while running '/opt/zimbra/bin/mysql --user=zimbra --password=S9yR7FHan2WYeCmnHLsrazrBU1wtuSHt --database=zimbra --batch --skip-column-names'. at /opt/zimbra/libexec/scripts/Migrate.pm line 134.
    2) Second run through of install.sh -- LDAP complains about attr vs attrs (I posted bug #7212 for this) and some "no data for entry id=01000000". The install.sh then bombs out towards the end when attempting to connect to LDAP. It then ends by dropping me into the "Main Menu" and putting asteriks next to "Web server HTTP port" and "Web server HTTPS port"
    Code:
    Backing up ldap

/opt/zimbra/conf/slapd.conf: line 66: "attr" is deprecated (and undocumented); use "attrs" instead.
    /opt/zimbra/conf/slapd.conf: line 73: "attr" is deprecated (and undocumented); use "attrs" instead.
    /opt/zimbra/conf/slapd.conf: line 87: "attr" is deprecated (and undocumented); use "attrs" instead.
    bdb_db_open: Warning - No DB_CONFIG file found in directory /opt/zimbra/openldap-data: (2)
    Expect poor performance for suffix .
    <= entry_decode: slap_str2undef_ad(e): AttributeDescription contains inappropriate characters
    # no data for entry id=01000000
    ..... some more install.sh output  and then...
    Setting defaults from ldap...ERROR: service.FAILURE (system failure: unable to lookup server by name: hail.networkpenguin.com) (cause: javax.naming.NamingException [LDAP: error code 80 - internal error])
    ERROR: service.FAILURE (system failure: unable to lookup server by name: hail.networkpenguin.com) (cause: javax.naming.NamingException [LDAP: error code 80 - internal error])
    3) Finally, I fall back to my 3.0.0_GA_156 release since it seems to work just fine (except for graphs and things in my admin UI, which I've seen forum posts on. But I just haven't had time to modify my cron entries).
    4) I don't know where to go from here. If this seems to be only happening to me, then I guess its an issue that I have to deal with. But it seems to me that a few people have had this issue with at least 2 different older versions of zimbra's open source edition attempting to upgrade to 3.1. And since all my DNS entries are responding appropriately with the correct name, my hostname resolves correctly and is set in my /etc/hosts file appropriately, I'm assuming that this is a bug that will get ironed out eventually. My next step is to search through the forum to find a post about exporting users and user data so that I can possibly export my data, then install a completely fresh VM, install zimbra 3.1 and then import my users, user attrs, and user data.

samotrak is offline Intermediate Member

Default Some screpts need to be modified?

Hi guys,

I had the same problems during the upgrade from 3.0 to 3.1.
    In my case the following scripts needed to be modified to complete the upgrade.

- zmldapinit
    - zmsetup.pl
    - zmupgrade.pm

zmldapinit:
    (comment the following lines)
    if [ $? -ne 0 ]; then
    exit 2
    fi

zmsetup.pl:
    $config{CREATEDOMAIN} = $config{HOSTNAME};
    ->
    $config{CREATEDOMAIN} = `hostname -d`;

zmupgrade.pm:
    (line 212)
    if (-f "/opt/zimbra/openldap-data/ldap.bak") {
    ->
    if (-f "/opt/zimbra/openldap-data.BAK/ldap.bak") {

(line 223)
    `su - zimbra -c "/opt/zimbra/openldap/sbin/slapadd -f /opt/zimbra/conf/slapd.conf -l /opt/zimbra/openldap-data.prev/ldap.bak"`;
    ->
    `su - zimbra -c "/opt/zimbra/openldap/sbin/slapadd -f /opt/zimbra/conf/slapd.conf -l /opt/zimbra/openldap-data.BAK/ldap.bak"`;

Hoping this helps...

KevinH is offline Expert Member

What OS? Please file this in bugzilla.
    Looking for new beta users -> Co-Founder of Acompli. Previously worked at Zimbra (and Yahoo! & VMware) since 2005.

Quote Originally Posted by KevinH
    What OS? Please file this in bugzilla.
    Using FC4. Will file this in bugizlla. Thank you.

thanks samotrak. I'll try out what you suggested soon and update the forum with my results.

samotrok,

I tried what you were suggesting. After running install.sh, it bombs out for me. I then modified the files that you suggested.

In the zmupgrade.pm file +212 I see a `mv command`. Line +209 has the command that you're showing. So I made that modification.

In the zmupgrade.pm file +223 I see a `if ($v eq $startVersion) {`. Line 216 has the command that you're referencing. I made the modifications that you suggest.

Did you rerun something or did you just start zimbra at that point? If I rerun the install.sh script, it overwrites those files (because it uninstalls the rpm's and then reinstalls them). If I run /opt/zimbra/libexec/zmsetup.pl, since that's the last thing that install.sh runs, it resets the defaults for ldap and then says "starting ldap: done" and then the next thing is that it starts bombing out again trying to get the name lookup for ldap <-- I mention some things earlier in this thread about ldap "unable to lookup host by name hail.networkpenguin.com."

Would you mind letting me know what you did after you modified those files? I'd greatly appreciate it.

Thanks,
    Joe

Default following up

Joe,

Sorry for my late reply and that I did not post enough procedure.

Here is a procedure that I did. This might be a little tricky, but worked for me...

1. Login or su as root user
    2. Go to any directory where has enough space (ex. cd /opt)
    3. Take backup /opt/zimbra and /etc/sudoers (ex. tar cvfz zimbra.tar ./zimbra; cp -p /etc/sudoers ./sudoers.30)
    4. Run upgrade (ex ./install.sh)
    5. Wait the bomb and go to /opt/zimbra/libexec (ex. cd opt/zimbra/libexec)
    6. Copy zmldapinit, zmsetup.pl, and zmupgrade.pm to somewhere (cp -p zmldapinit /tmp; cp -p zmsetup.pl /tmp; cp -p zmupgrade.pm /tmp)
    7. Modify the scripts
    8. Remove current zimbra directory (ex. rm -rf /opt/zimbra)
    9. Restore zimbra directory and sudo file (ex. tar xvfz zimbra.tar; cp sudoers.30 /etc/sudoers)
    10. Confirm 3.0 runs (ex. su - zimbra; zmcontrol start)
    11. Stop 3.0 (ex. zmcontrol stop)
    12 Back to root user and run upgrade again (ex. ./install.sh)
    13. When "Press Return to continue" message appears, modify /opt/zimbra/.saveconfig/config.save file and fill out the following values (this step may not be needed)
    ldap_host -> this should be your FQDN hostname
    ldap_port -> typically "389"
    14. Proceed upgrade
    15. During upgarde, /opt/zimbra/libexec directory is removed and recreated. So, wait until the installation of "zimbra-core-3.1.0" package and copy the modified scripts to /opt/zimbra/libexec directory
    (ex. mv /opt/zimbra/libexec/zmldapinit /opt/zimbra/libexec/zmldapinit.BAK; mv /opt/zimbra/libexec/zmsetup.pl /opt/zimbra/libexec/zmsetup.pl.BAK; mv /opt/zimbra/libexec/zmupgrade.pm /opt/zimbra/libexec/zmupgrade.pm.BAK; cp -p /tmp/zmldapinit /opt/zimbra/libexec/; cp -p /tmp/zmsetup.pl /opt/zimbra/libexec/; cp -p /tmp/zmupgrade.pm /opt/zimbra/libexec/)

If you have any questions, please let me know.
    Hoping this helps.

samotrak

ccmacmil is offline Member

Samotrak:

On my Suse 9.3 system, chmod 640 of sudoers was also needed... but it still does not work. I have no successful upgrade to date....

zcs-3.0.1_GA_160.SuSEES9 -> zcs-3.0.1_GA_160.SuSEES9 just fails
    Last edited by ccmacmil; 05-10-2006 at 06:03 AM.

ccmacmil,

Sorry for my late reply and thanks for informing sudoers issue. BTW, what is your error on Suse 9.3 system? Was it the same error mentioned above?

Thanks,
    samotrak

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information