Thread: Upgraded to 5.0.11 and now zmlogger dominates. Help!

tvcian is offline Junior Member

Default Upgraded to 5.0.11 and now zmlogger dominates. Help!

I just performed the upgrade the Zimbra 5.0.11 from Zimbra 5.0.10 and the actual upgrade went as expected, no different from the previous upgrade.

When I came in the next morning however, the load on the box was over 10 and Zimbra was acting incredibly sluggish, and in some cases just plain timing out. Before the upgrade, the load on the box never went above 1.

I had to stop the logger by running /opt/zimbra/bin/zmloggerctl stop to make the box useable. Once I stopped zmlogger, the load drops to well under 1 and is functioning as normal.

I am in the process of converting my entire company from Exchange to Zimbra, this is just terrible timing. Can anyone shed some light on why zmlogger is dominating the box after the upgrade?

Thanks in advance for any help you might be able to give!! It is certainly appreciated.

Klug is offline Moderator

Did you check this: 5.011 Bug - zmlogger fails to stop ?

And this too (the database part): Logger - Zimbra :: Wiki

I looked through both of those sections, but I failed to see anything that would help. Also made the mistake of turning logging back on, only to have it completely dominate again. Has anyone had a similar issue? Any specific tips on what I can do about it?

It runs great when having the logger stopped, but what are the long-term drawbacks to having it turned off?

Before my company moves forward with purchasing the upgrade to network edition from OSS, we need to find a resolution for this. When logger is started, load shoots up to 10 and zimbra is not usable. When it is stopped, load drops to 0 and zimbra runs perfectly.

If you have any insight or experience with this sort of issue it would be greatly appreciated!

Klug is offline Moderator

Which OS and hardware are you running ZCS on?

I gave you some links with informations about checking the logger database and fixing it if it's corrupted. Did you just look at the links or did you check the database?

You says loads goes up to 10, can you post a "top" of your server when this happens?

uxbod is offline Moderator

Code:
    cat /proc/meminfo
    su - zimbra
    zmcontrol -v

michelleP is offline Starter Member

Default Further responses?

Are there any further comments on this post?
    "It runs great when having the logger stopped, but what are the long-term drawbacks to having it turned off?"

My logger is misbehaving and I would love an answer to the "long-term drawbacks" question of leaving it off.

Thread Information