Thread: Forwarding and local delivery

fconil is offline Active Member

Default Forwarding and local delivery

Hi,

I have two questions regarding the forwarding capabilities of Zimbra.
    We're installing a NE multi server setup and one of the legal concerns is that we need some proof emails actually got delivered. It has been admitted that "mail sitting in inbox" == "mail delivered"

Now, we're hitting a delicate point:
    Is it possible to disable either the option "no local delivery" or in a worst case scenario, forwarding to external addresses all together for all new addresses? All of this in a way that won't allow any user to re enable it (aside from maybe admins, but we want a solution that would survive upgrades).

Second point:
    If we set up archiving, would the forwarded mails be archived anyway? If so that might solve the problem just as well.

Dirk is offline Moderator

The only way to prove delivery of an email is to have the person recieving it mail you back saying "I read this". All the computerised checks in the world wont really help if someone wants to deny that they recieved your mail, but their case is severly weakened if you can show a conversational thread with that person.

fconil is offline Active Member

Their lawyers said that a mail sitting in archives or their inbox will be enough, I just want to make sure I can actually from a technical stand point provide it

Dirk is offline Moderator

Fair enough, (I personally dont believe that would stand a chance in court, but IANAL so...) you would be able to prove that the message reached the remote server by viewing the logs, but you would need to the logs from the remote server to show that it moved from the server to the users account.

'Read Receipts' would work, but only if the users read the message, and only if Zimbra supports them, which it doesnt yet.

That does little to answer your actuall questions though, which I've just read again and I'm not sure I fully understand, but given that you need the system to be watertight, I'd recommend throwing a test environment together in VMWare or similar, and create a couple of email servers and send the mail around. That way you will be able to test settings and view logs without affecting your real network.

Thread Information