Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Admin Assistant and Boss

garyo is offline Active Member

Default Admin Assistant and Boss

Hi folks. I have two users, "aa" and "boss". Boss wants to give aa access to all her folders, email, calendar, documents, etc. She wants to delegate everything to aa, so aa can make appointments, respond to her email (so it appears to come from "boss"), invite people to meetings, etc.

First, how does boss share everything ("/") with aa? All I've found so far are ways to share individual folders like Inbox. Do I (as the zimbra admin) need to do this with zmmailbox, something like this?
    zmmailbox -z -m boss@example.com mfg / account aa@example.com rwidx "Permission: Admin"

Or can boss do it herself from the ZWC or ZDC?

Second, we are using a mix here of ZWC, ZDC, and Thunderbird/Lightning (0.9). If boss shares her root folder with aa and aa accepts using ZDC or ZWC, I think everything will automatically show up in aa's desktop client (ZDC) and web client, but how does aa gain access to boss's folder tree from Thunderbird (for mail) and Lightning (for calendar)? I guess I need to determine the proper URLs for both of those folders, in Tbird and Lightning formats -- or will it just work, because they'll appear as subfolders of existing things?

Third and last, am I asking too much? Is this going to work? Thanks for reading this far.

-- Gary

Jbrabander is offline Elite Member

It would be a quick and dirty way, but AA could just log into webmail as Boss.

Hi Jbramander; thanks for the reply.

That's what aa is doing now, and she has many problems with that. For one, she can't see both her email/cal and boss's at the same time; she has to log out & back in again. And trying to use boss's calendar in Lightning that way has caused serious problems like meetings that nobody can change because the organizer (aa) doesn't have access to them anymore, weird stuff like that.

I want to do it the right way, not the quick & dirty way.

mmorse is offline Moderator

You've shared the root (/) with zmmailbox modifyFolderGrant, but you need to use zmmailbox createMountPoint (or other SOAP/JAVA methods) to actually mount ie 'display' the share to the user.
    Vote for: Bug 24804 - Share entire mailbox in one click. & Bug 7473 – Share management and discovery

Better still, I think you'll be interested in giving the secretary quick access to everything and not worrying about shares & mounts, even let her reply 'on behalf' - see pic - configuration directions are here: Mailboxes: Sharing vs. Relationships » Zimbra :: Blog

Hi, Mike. The Sharing vs. Relationships page is very interesting. I have a couple of questions about it though.

First, how does it play with Thunderbird/Lightning? We mostly use that. Second, what about zwc? I don't think it has that accordion display (at least not in our version).

Last, how can I tell if this is already enabled? I suspect the zimbra admin here before me may have set this up, maybe in a broken way. I tried zmprov ga primary@example.com | grep -i child and same with secondary, but didn't see anything. I also looked for each one's zimbraId in the other's "zmprov ga" but didn't see anything there either.

Thanks for the help, folks...

-- Gary

Hi Mike; one more question. When I create the mount point, what should I use for --view? It's a whole tree of folders including all the usual types.

If I can get a good example of this working, I'll add it to the wiki page (Zmmailbox - Zimbra :: Wiki)

No it wont play with IMAP - you'd have to use shares. (Only workes for the AJAX web-client.)

To answer the other questions anyways:
    -Should be fine on 5.0.10 (from your profile) the accordion display appears after you config.
    -If doing zmprov ga secretary@domain.com | grep Child does not return anything it's probably not setup (or zmprov ga boss@domain.com if they configured it opposite on mistake).

Types are appointment, contact, conversation, document, message, task, wiki

But you can just do this because it auto-detects:
    zmmailbox -z -m share@domain.com mfg / account recieve@domain.com rwixd
    zmmailbox -z -m recieve@domain.com cm /shared share@domain.com /

And secretary now has manager rights to everything. If on-behalf gets annoying vote for Bug 22819 -reply to another user's message is always on-behalf-of

Last edited by mmorse; 12-17-2008 at 10:47 AM. Reason: more pics

zmmailbox -z -m boss@domain.com mfg / account secretary@domain.com rwixd
    zmmailbox -z -m secretary@domain.com cm /boss boss@domain.com /

You could do any of the following for modifyFolderGrant: [account <name> |group <name> |domain <name> |all |public| guest <email> <password>] followed by the permissions like r, rw, rwix, rwixd, rwixda, none, etc.

(r)ead - search, view overviews and items
    (w)rite - edit drafts/contacts/notes, set flags (i)nsert - copy/add to directory, create subfolders action
    (x) - workflow actions, like accepting appointments
    (d)elete - delete items and subfolders, set \Deleted flag
    (a)dminister - delegate admin and change permissions

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information