Thread: External account (pop3) "from" address

rajahd is offline Special Member

Default External account (pop3) "from" address

I have several personal pop3 e-mail accounts. I've created a POP account in my Zimbra preferences area and can receive mail fine. When I send mail from this account (regardless of whether it's new, reply, or forward) it always puts my Zimbra primary account's e-mail address in the "From" e-mail header. I've set the "Reply-to" setting but this has several issues:

1. I frequently don't want people to have my Zimbra primary address, just the pop3 e-mail's address.

2. People receiving e-mail from me may not recognize the e-mail or it may get blocked since they have "approved" only my pop3 e-mail.

3. When I reply/forward e-mail sent to my pop3 e-mail it gets a new "From" e-mail address thus making conversation tracking impossible.

I hope I'm just blind or there is some obscure setting that lets you override the "From" e-mail to match the external account, otherwise this feature is near useless in my case (and I can't believe others wouldn't be frustrated by this same issue).

Thanks in advance for any help on resolving this problem.

-RD

Another issue I've run into as a result of this is automated e-mail systems update my account info based on the "from" address. For instance, I have a personal account at Dell under my personal (pop3) e-mail. If I send them an e-mail for any personal orders or case #s my personal account's e-mail address get changed to my Zimbra primary account e-mail address! I'm sure other companies use automated systems such as this and it's definitely inconvenient to have to go update my account every time I have e-mail correspondence with them.

phoenix is offline Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

Go to the Admin UI and set the " Allow sending email from any address" in the COS/Preferences tab, this has been covered in the forums and a search would have found it.
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

samgreco is offline Loyal Member

And look at creating Personas. I think one of Zimbras best features.

Thanks pheonix and samgreco.

I guess I should have listed the things I've already tried so that you would know I'm not a n00b asking a question without making an attempt to solve it on my own.

* I had found the "Allow sending email from any address" on searches for this issue but checking that option in my account has no discernible effect. The From area in the Accounts section still has just an editable box for the "real name" and an uneditable drop down list for the e-mail. Is there a way to add an e-mail to that list that I'm missing? FYI, I've tried adjusting this setting at both the COS level and at my specific Account level, just in case there was some conflict.

* I've tried persona's but the same restrictions on the From e-mail exist as with the POP account.

* I've tried aliases, thinking they may show up in the drop down list, but they don't.

* I've gone so far as to create the domain on the server and add my POP3 e-mail address to it. I can send e-mails that have the correct "From" that way but a whole host of other issues crop up like having to turn on forwarding e-mail to unknown users to an external server, hardcoding the external e-mail server's IP for retreving e-mail, etc. This is hardly a solution even if I got it all to work.

Is there some other setting that may affect/negate the "Allow sending email from any address" from working?

Again, thanks for all suggestions and help.

Thread Information