Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: [SOLVED] Slapd problems / Zimbra won't start

ryandball is offline Senior Member

Unhappy [SOLVED] Slapd problems / Zimbra won't start

Ok, so I majorly did myself a disservice today. We've been having hardware issues with the current Zimbra server so I built a new one and put VMWare Server on it under Ubuntu 8.04 LTS AMD64 and installed Ubuntu as a container on it with the intention of moving the mail server onto it. Having it on VM means I can move it to another server quickly and easily.

I installed 5.0.11 on the new server then used rsync to copy files from the old server (5.0.8_GA_2462.UBUNTU6 on Ubuntu x86 6.06.1 LTS) to the new one, but now everything's wonky and Zimbra won't work on EITHER server. Both are giving me this -

/opt/zimbra/libexec/zmslapd: line 22: /opt/zimbra/openldap/libexec/slapd: cannot execute binary file

I had tried upgrading to 5.0.11 on the new server but it fails shutting down Zimbra services, asking for a password while trying to stop a service. I know that that's probably a sudoers problem but the file looks right.

What the heck have I done to myself? Have you ever heard of Rsync screwing things up or corrupting files? I dropped into single-user mode and ran fsck but that message always creeps me out so I said no.

Any ideas?

... perhaps I should have shut down Zimbra services before running rsync ...

Thanks,

Desperate in Portland

Jesster is offline Trained Alumni

I'm writing this without any hand-on experience with your issue, however, I'm wondering if the AMD64 cannot run the older binaries.

I think getting the x86 Ubuntu slapd is priority - have you looked over Platform migration script - Zimbra :: Wiki - slapcat is what I would use to export your ldap data to a file format that you can import onto the AMD64 bit version.

Oh goodness that simply makes too much sense.... I hadn't realized that there would be a different slapd for x86 vs AMD64... This AMD64 decision sure has caused more pain than I care to explain here..

I'll make a new VM container with 6.06.1 LTS x86 which is what the original server has and see if this works.

On the new sytem however now I'm getting

Backing up the ldap database...failed.
    slapcat: bad configuration file!

And I copied over the slapd.conf file over again thinking it was corrupt but what you're saying makes more sense... I should mention here that I authenticate to our Win2k AD domain so would there still be local LDAP data?

You know I'm not new to the IT game (15 yrs experience) but every day I start thinking what is wrong with me choosing this kind of career... lol.

Thanks I'll try it and post back what happens.

Meanwhile, any idea how I can fix the old server so that we have something to use until I can get the new one going? Almost seems to me that the binaries got corrupt somehow...

Ok, so I don't understand why the original box is having issues starting slapd, given that you did an rsync pulling data from that box to another box while services were running.

In regards to your LDAP data question, even though your usernames and passwords are in AD, the Zimbra LDAP system is vital.

On the old box, watch all the logs in ~zimbra/log/*.log and do a zmcontrol stop then start. I'm assuming this box is a single server install of Zimbra

LDAP should be one of the last services to stop, and first to start. Check your logs to see if you have anything show up for ldap. If ldap still will not start, you might consider doing a restore of ~zimbra/openldap-data (don't forget to set permissions afterwards!)

If you are doing ldif backups (instead of the BDB openldap-data files) then you can start a new openldap-data folder with the DB_CONFIG file copied into this one, get slapd running, and use slapadd to import your ldif backup.

-Jessie

I'm not sure what I did on the original one (yes, single server install) but if I su zimbra and zmcontrol start, I get -

/opt/zimbra/bin/zmlocalconfig: line 51: /opt/zimbra/java/bin/java: cannot execute binary file
    /opt/zimbra/bin/zmlocalconfig: line 51: /opt/zimbra/java/bin/java: Success
    Host
    Unable to determine enabled services from ldap.
    Enabled services read from cache. Service list may be inaccurate.
    Starting ldap...Done.
    FAILED
    /opt/zimbra/bin/zmlocalconfig: line 51: /opt/zimbra/java/bin/java: cannot execute binary file
    /opt/zimbra/bin/zmlocalconfig: line 51: /opt/zimbra/java/bin/java: Success
    /opt/zimbra/libexec/zmslapd: line 22: /opt/zimbra/openldap/libexec/slapd: cannot execute binary file
    /opt/zimbra/libexec/zmslapd: line 22: /opt/zimbra/openldap/libexec/slapd: Success
    Failed to start slapd. Attempting debug start to determine error.

The line 22 error repeats many times. I can't figure out what happened but it happened immediately after an rsync. I'm thinking Java and/or slapd is simply corrupt.

Does Zimbra offer per-incident tech support for the open source edition? I'd gladly pay for phone support for this issue. I'd LIKE to get the Network Edition but I still have to get that through management before I can do that.

ArcaneMagus is offline Moderator

Here's a silly thought...do those files still have execute permission?

-rwxr-xr-x 1 zimbra zimbra 65K 2008-02-09 00:56 /opt/zimbra/java/bin/java
    -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 3.4M 2008-08-20 12:26 /opt/zimbra/openldap/libexec/slapd

Wonderful idea, but alas those files have the exact permissions as what you posted... hmm..

Hey ryandball,

Which way did you rsync those files? is there any chance you copied files from the AMD64 box onto the old box?

ArcaneMagus has a good point, check permissions, there's also (as root):

Code:
    /opt/zimbra/libexec/zmfixperms

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information