Thread: Network version disaster recovery steps.

dhallweb is offline Active Member

Default Network version disaster recovery steps.

I have gone through the documentation and somehow I am missing something. I am testing a building level disaster recovery, this test involves: 1ea brand new hardware loaded with RHEL4, 1 backup tape containing the last full backup run by zmbackup -f -a all -t /some/path, and the tar ball of the Zimbra I am currently running zcs-NETWORK-3.0.1_GA_160.RHEL4.tgz.
    I am going live soon and need to get this process documented before I do, I have tried it a few times and gotten partial results but not a full operational server. Does somebody have the steps documented any where? Using the backup documentation is leaving me a little confused as to how to install Zimbra in this scenario in relation to starting Zimbra or not, restoring the LDAP and so on. I am kind of running out of time to figure this out and get all the other things done to switch over to the new server.

marcmac is offline Expert Member

What's going wrong? Things won't start, data missing, ???

Couple of things to check:

In addition to /opt/zimbra, make sure you're restoring changes to:
    /etc/sudoers
    /etc/passwd, /etc/shadow, /etc/group
    /etc/ld.so.conf
    /etc/ld.so.conf.d/zimbra
    /etc/logrotate.d/zimbra
    /etc/init.d/zimbra plus any symlinks needed in /etc/rc*.d

Verify that the zimbra, postfix and postdrop users/groups have the same IDs on the source and destination boxes.

Try running zmfixperms after the untar (could take a long time)

Quote Originally Posted by dhallweb
    I have gone through the documentation and somehow I am missing something. I am testing a building level disaster recovery, this test involves: 1ea brand new hardware loaded with RHEL4, 1 backup tape containing the last full backup run by zmbackup -f -a all -t /some/path, and the tar ball of the Zimbra I am currently running zcs-NETWORK-3.0.1_GA_160.RHEL4.tgz.
    I am going live soon and need to get this process documented before I do, I have tried it a few times and gotten partial results but not a full operational server. Does somebody have the steps documented any where? Using the backup documentation is leaving me a little confused as to how to install Zimbra in this scenario in relation to starting Zimbra or not, restoring the LDAP and so on. I am kind of running out of time to figure this out and get all the other things done to switch over to the new server.
    Bugzilla - Wiki - Downloads - Before posting... Search!

KevinH is offline Expert Member

On the new server you'll want to install the same version of zimbra with the same domain(s). Then use the restore command to re-add the data and the accounts.
    Looking for new beta users -> Co-Founder of Acompli. Previously worked at Zimbra (and Yahoo! & VMware) since 2005.

Quote Originally Posted by marcmac
    What's going wrong? Things won't start, data missing, ???
    I am gettting different results from different ways I have tried this restore based on the documentation. The documentation seems to jump around a bit, this is probably a function of my lack of understanding of how Zimbra works. This is an emergency installation so I am just rying to get things going the best I can and plan on learning more later, hence my hopes to find a step by step like: install Zimbra, do A, then B then C. The information you have provided is helpful I will log it in my work order system for the future use.

Quote Originally Posted by KevinH
    On the new server you'll want to install the same version of zimbra with the same domain(s). Then use the restore command to re-add the data and the accounts.
    So my working server is called mail.domain.com, I install Zimbra on a new server as mail.domain.com and get it operational. Then I run:
    zmrestore -a all -t /pathto/backupdirectoryfrommail.domain.com

Correct?

KevinH is offline Expert Member

Quote Originally Posted by dhallweb
    So my working server is called mail.domain.com, I install Zimbra on a new server as mail.domain.com and get it operational. Then I run:
    zmrestore -a all -t /pathto/backupdirectoryfrommail.domain.com

Correct?
    I think you want:

zmrestore -ca -a all -t /pathto/backupdirectoryfrommail.domain.com

The -ca will trigger the account creation as well.
    Looking for new beta users -> Co-Founder of Acompli. Previously worked at Zimbra (and Yahoo! & VMware) since 2005.

bobby is offline Zimbra Employee

actually i think it provisions the account no matter what, so you can't restore into an existing account. the -ca option uses the --prefix to create the accounts with a slightly different name.

Thread Information