Thread: View GAL from Web Client?

Phloyd is offline Active Member

Default View GAL from Web Client?

I think this may be a really stupid question, and I must be missing something, but I cannot view the GAL from a web client session. It does not show up as an address book, and the only way that I can see it is by clicking the "To:" button from a compose window. Even when I click this, the listing is not accurate or complete. What am I missing here?

Jbrabander is offline Elite Member

I can only see the GAL when clickign the "To:" as well. I think that's by design. Although it would be nice to see it when clicking the address book tab.

As for not seeing the whole list, it only shows 100 addresses. And you're correct, they aren't in alphabetical order, as we're "missing" some in our list. But if you search for the "missing" name, it'll show in the search results.

Quote Originally Posted by Jbrabander View Post
    I can only see the GAL when clickign the "To:" as well. I think that's by design. Although it would be nice to see it when clicking the address book tab.

As for not seeing the whole list, it only shows 100 addresses. And you're correct, they aren't in alphabetical order, as we're "missing" some in our list. But if you search for the "missing" name, it'll show in the search results.
    Not very helpful if you don't know what you are searching for. We added new distribution lists and they don't show up in the GAL. If I type them in and hit search they are there, but that doesn't help my users who don't know that they are there.

Good point, and our "next" button is greyed out too so I can't just flip over to the next page of addresses.

Just to ask, when you created your new distribution list, did you hit the "hide in GAL" checkbox? It may be worth checking.

Good point, and our "next" button is greyed out too so I can't just flip over to the next page of addresses.

Just to ask, when you created your new distribution list, did you hit the "hide in GAL" checkbox? It may be worth checking.
    No, I made sure that they are visible in the GAL. If they aren't visible, they don't even show up in a search.

Well, it was worth asking at least Cause it's usually the obvious stuff that trips us all up.

mmorse is offline Moderator

Bug 21121 - when gal search returns >100 results, pagination should be enabled
    ------- Comment #2 Parag Shah 2007-11-12 -------
    This is a server limitation. Paging GAL results is *not* supported.
    ------- Comment #3 Roland Schemers 2007-11-12 -------
    If this is a GAL search then there isn't much we can do at this point. There is a "big GAL rewrite" bug that will add paging/sorting/syncing to the GAL.

Bug 29654 - "Previous - Next" buttons grayed out in contact picker in 'Select Address' Window
    ------- Comment #6 Parag Shah 2008-11-10 -------
    SearchGalRequest does not support paging.
    ------- Comment #7 Roland Schemers 2008-11-10 -------
    This could be dup'd as part of the gal-rewrite bug that will allow sorting/paging of the GAL.

Bug 5989 - making the GAL browsable - browse >>> Bug 14531 - GAL via contacts folders with sorting, browsing and real sync

They are claiming that this is fixed, but I have no idea how to go about implementing it. Would like to have a browseable GAL or at least a shared address book that can be synchronized with the GAL to keep it up to date.

browland is offline Senior Member

I agree, I have this same issue and I am running 5.0.13_GA_2791 which was released since this issue started. I am waiting for Ver 6 to upgrade our server at that time.
    Bill Rowland MCDST MCSA MCSE

Quote Originally Posted by Phloyd View Post
    They are claiming that this is fixed, but I have no idea how to go about implementing it. Would like to have a browseable GAL or at least a shared address book that can be synchronized with the GAL to keep it up to date.
    According to the product portal, it looks like this is fixed in version 6.

Thread Information