Thread: Test Restore and License Issue

lcxe is offline Active Member

Default Test Restore and License Issue

I'm currently attempting to do a test restore of our Zimbra server on a VM to attempt to do a full restore both to get experience on how to do it, and to work out any bugs in the process. Currently I've run into a wall. Right now I'm using the real server's license for 50 accounts as the license for the test server. As it stands I'm sitting at 41 accounts on our real server. When attempting to do the restore I hit 11 accounts, and then I'm getting an error saying that we're out of licenses. I assume that admin account is not taking up a license on both servers, meaning that additively I've hit the cap with the licenses. Is the only way that I can attempt test a full restore of our server done by having twice the number of licenses for accounts?

I know the reasons for this are fairly obvious, but is there a way that I can restore the server without having to acquire another 30 licenses? I imagine that it would be allowed were I to shutdown the real server that it would free up those licenses, but for obvious reasons, it's not a feasible solution.

If I could get any help as to how I could go about dealing with this I would be very grateful.

Thanks in advance,
    Lucas

lcxe is offline Active Member

I believe I may have found the problem. When I was restoring the backup, I restored the LDAP information, then started to restore. So there were however many licenses used by restoring the accounts in LDAP, then when I started to restore from backup, it wiped the accounts that had been restored with LDAP and started moving in the accounts from the backup, which is where it hit the wall on licenses. I restarted the server, and the licenses dropped back down the the real number of accounts. I suppose this is in relation to the bug where an account is deleted but the license for the account stays used until a server restart.

Thread Information