Thread: ZCS on Netapp

Ian Forbes is offline Intermediate Member

Default ZCS on Netapp

There seems to be many who have installed ZCS on Netapp storage. We currently store the /opt/zimbra on an iSCSI lun and /opt/zimbra/primary, /opt/zimbra/secondary, /opt/zimbra/backup on Netapp NFS volumes. I'm interested in how others have decided to lay out their installs on the Netapp.

One of the nice things about Netapp is their application software solutions (i.e. snapmanager suite). The snapmanager software creates application consistent snapshots for database solutions such as Exchange, Oracle, SQL, etc. It would be great if there were a snapmanager for Zimbra.

In saying that I was wondering how people have been taking advantage of the snapshot capabilities of Netapp with their Zimbra solutions. If you've placed the message and backup stores on NFS volumes it's very easy to schedule snapshots of those volumes. I'm more interested in how people have been snap shotting their ZCS binaries, MYSQL data store, index store, etc. Are you using scripts to place everything into a consitent state and then taking a snapshot, or are you even bothering snap shotting this data?

Obviuosly, ZCS has a built-in backup feature that creates a consistent backup of ldap, database, index directory, and message store. It'd be nice if that was baked into a snapmanager for ZCS product.

In any case, if people could share their experiences with ZCS on Netapp and how they take advantage of snapshots that'd be great.

Cheers

uxbod is offline Moderator

Ian, interesting post! I think the hardest thing to do will be to quiesce every component. Will be keen to keep a eye on this thread as if something was created it should be pretty easy to adapt for HP EVAs

Ian Forbes is offline Intermediate Member

Agreed. It'd be nice to know exactly which components need to be quiesced before taking a snapshot. There's no real reason why we shouldn't be able to take advantage of the capabilities of an intelligent storage appliance, while moving important cpu cycles from the server to the stoarge array.

Netapp and Zimbra entered a partnership in July 2007. Maybe someone from the Zimbra team can share if there is anything coming down the road with respect to this collaboration.

uxbod is offline Moderator

Wonder was storage arrays CCast use ?

knabe is offline Trained Alumni

I have my /opt/zimbra/store mounted on a NetApp NFS volume. The only issue I see is occassionly the java process hits 100% of 1 cpu and the entire instance becomes unusable. Everything I have found in forums etc is with NFS implimentations. Can anyone recommend what options should be used in mounting a NetApp NFS volume?? Has anyone resolved high java on the cpu causing DOS on the server? I only have 35 active accounts and a 2 - Quad core Xeon with 8GB of RAM. I shouldn't be pushing the servers threshold at all.

usr
    usr is offline Junior Member

Default NetApp Zimbra

Hi,

Is there any Application that provides admin interface for Zimbra i.e. if the data is residing on a NetApp FAS ?

Something like SnapManager for Exchange exists from NetApp - similar Application for Zimbra where NetApp is the Storage Appliance ?

Regards,
    Udayan

reinhard is offline Trained Alumni

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Forbes View Post
    We decided to place /opt/zimbra (MySQL, OpenLDAP, Indexes, binaries, etc) on an iSCSI LUN and /opt/zimbra/store, /opt/zimbra/backup on NFS mounts.

Oh yah, we're running everything on VMware ESX vm's :-)
    Hi Ian,
    we're going to do it right the same way - are there any hints you can give me out of your experience?
    Code:
                         <\***/>
    Reinhard             ( . . )
    -------------------ooO--U--Ooo----

Netapp and Zimbra entered a partnership in July 2007.
    see: NetApp - Company - News - Zimbra Joins the NetApp® Advantage Partner Program

Maybe someone from the Zimbra team can share if there is anything coming down the road with respect to this collaboration.
    Yes: hello to all of the Zimbra team!
    What does this partnership meen for us customers?
    Is there a whitepaper or best-practices of "Zimbra and Netapp"?
    I'd appreciate any informations on how to install and run Zimbra on Netapp :-)
    Code:
                         <\***/>

We currently store the /opt/zimbra on an iSCSI lun and /opt/zimbra/primary, /opt/zimbra/secondary, /opt/zimbra/backup on Netapp NFS volumes.
    Hi Ian,
    how did you size the iSCSI lun?
    We are going to have about 120 Mailboxes for 100 Users.
    Code:
                         <\***/>

Thread Information