Thread: [SOLVED] OSS upgrade questions - 4.5.3 -> 4.5.11

moneymonk is offline Active Member

Default [SOLVED] OSS upgrade questions - 4.5.3 -> 4.5.11

Hello-

First of all I want to thank all the Zimbraphiles and staff out there for being so helpful in the past.

During my last mail panic, Mike Morse suggested upgrading my version from 4.5.3 to 4.5.11 and pointed me toward some documents halfway down this thread.

We have been having more problems with this old version, namely extreme slowness with POP and SMTP, and web interface. After Zimbra services are restarted, things return to normal, but invariably clog up again. I can find nothing telling in the logs except amavisd and clamav complaining. I figure its time for the upgrade.

The documents seem pretty complete, except they assume that the install is fresh. Can anyone point me toward some threads/documents that help with an upgrade of an existing Zimbra... hopefully OSS 4.5.3 to 4.5.11?
    Or, if not, what tweaks are necessary to the instructions provided to make them apply to an upgrade?

Thanks in advance-

mm

mmorse is offline Moderator

As your not changing platforms or anything kicking off the upgrade itself is simple.

Read the release notes: files.zimbra.com/website/docs/archives/4.5/Zimbra%20OS%20Release%20Notes%204-5-11.pdf

Take a backup (snapshot/LVM/scp/rsync/etc). Tons of methods, a few are outlined here: Backup and Restore Articles - Zimbra :: Wiki & there's more if you search the forums - but here's a simple one:
    root
    rsync -avHK /opt/zimbra/ /nas/backups/zimbra
    su - zimbra
    zmcontrol stop
    exit
    ps aux | grep zimbra
    kill -9 loggerPID (it often keeps running on 4.5.x)
    rsync -avHK --delete /opt/zimbra/ /nas/zmail/backups/zimbra
    This second rsync with zimbra stopped covers any changes & the --delete parameter removes any files at the destination (/nas) that aren't at the source anymore (/opt/zimbra)
    And if you wanted to take that one further:
    tar -zcvf /nas/zmail/20081106.tar.gz /nas/zmail/backups/zimbra/

Then grab the 4.5.11 binary for your platform from /community/downloads_previous.html
    tar -xvf zcs-4.5.11_GA_1751.Platform.tgz
    cd zcs
    ./install.sh
    Follow the prompts
    (If you're a single serer you probably don't want to enable proxy; I forget what version added a 'are you sure?' prompt for turning it on.)

moneymonk is offline Active Member

I've finally procured a DEV server to install a clean version of 4.5.3 in order to test the upgrade before i do it on our production system.

before I do the test upgrade, i'd like to try to replicate my production environment as closely as possible on the test server, but without creating any conflicts between the two servers on the network.

I figure i should be able to replace some of my "clean" configs and dirs with copies of my production dirs. I mostly fear that I will copy something or restore something that creates a conflict with my production system.

any suggestions?

Mike

Thread Information