Thread: 3.0.1 GA upgrade problem

kollross is offline Senior Member

Default 3.0.1 GA upgrade problem

I was doing an upgrade on a test machine of the New bug release 3.0.1. After the DB was changed i'm getting this error

Upgrade complete
    Checking for port conflicts
    Setting defaults from ldap...ERROR: service.FAILURE (system failure: getDirectContext) (cause: javax.naming.CommunicationException zimbratest.soltec.net:389)
    ERROR: service.FAILURE (system failure: getDirectContext) (cause: javax.naming.CommunicationException zimbratest.soltec.net:389)
    ERROR: service.FAILURE (system failure: getDirectContext) (cause: javax.naming.CommunicationException zimbratest.soltec.net:389)
    Done
    Checking ldap on localhost:389...FAILED ( ldap_bind: Can't contact LDAP server (-1) )

It then asks me to address the issues with ***** next to them which happen to be
    ******* +Web server HTTP port: UNSET
    ******* +Web server HTTPS port: UNSET
    (why these are not set I dont know, they were set before)
    Anyways i went a head and set these manually then was treated with this

Store configuration

1) Status: Enabled
    2) Create Admin User: no
    3) SMTP host: zimbratest.soltec.net
    4) Web server HTTP port: 80
    5) Web server HTTPS port: 443
    6) Web server mode: mixed
    7) IMAP server port: 143
    8) IMAP server SSL port: 993
    9) POP server port: 110
    10) POP server SSL port: 995
    11) Use spell check server: yes
    12) Spell server URL: http://zimbratest.soltec.net:7780/aspell.php

Select, or 'r' for previous menu [r] r
    Checking ldap on localhost:389...FAILED ( ldap_bind: Can't contact LDAP server (-1) )

Seems that it can't connect to the ldap server....which it shouldn't because the ldap server was stopped during the upgrade process. Anyways it keeps telling me to address the **** or correct ldap configuartion but there are no **** and i can't do anything about the ldap server not being run because it was shutdown. So right now i'm stuck in a neverending loop

phoenix is online now Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

Did you check that LDAP was actually stopped after this upgrade failed? Can you see if it's still there (and any other zimbra processes), if it is still active then kil the processes and do the upgrade again.

I'm slightly confused as to which version of Zimbra you're referring, the current GA build is 3.0.1 - are you upgrading to that release? If so which version are you upgrading from?

There's also this page in the wiki for troubleshooting LDAP problems.
    Last edited by phoenix; 04-04-2006 at 08:48 AM.
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

from GA 3.0 to GA 3.0.1

The second restart of the installation did not work but it appears the 3rd attempt did. Must not be killing all the processes off correctly. Would it be better to have the upgrade stop the zimbra services or should a manual zmcontrol stop before upgradig work better.

Was not sure what if any initial services were needed by the upgrade script.

phoenix is online now Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

You shouldn't need to run zmcontrol to stop the services. The install script has improved since the early releases of zimbra and, AFAIK, it doesn't need any of the zimbra services to continue the upgrade.

I've not had problems running an upgrade so I'd suggest just running the upgrade and if it fails check if there's any services running.
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

I've actually ran into it twice now. Initially (from the first post) it started working on the third appept. To test it out again i removed the installation and installed GA 3.0.0 to try the upgrade. The same issue happened again so kill the upgrade and started over from scratch. During the second time it upgraded properly so it appears that a few remaining processes are not dieing properly.

Thread Information