Thread: External Account Error -- Possible bug?

starcenterlr Guest

Exclamation External Account Error -- Possible bug?

Hello,

My organization is in the process of going from 3.x to 5.0.10. The new server is setup, but we're running a pilot group of users on there to test out the new features, and I need the new server to be able to setup external accounts that pull e-mail off the older 3.x server.

I've managed to setup an external account that pulls from Zimbra with no problem.

When I attempt to use an external account to access e-mail off the old server, I run into this error when I click the "Test Settings" box:

Error: com.sun.mail.iap.BadCommandException: A1 BAD parse error: excess characters at end of command
    Note: If you continue to save, account will be marked inactive.
    Press Cancel to return to editing accounts.
    The options checked are:

Change IMAP Port (the old server uses a non-standard port)
    Use an encrypted connection (SSL) when accessing this server

Here's the snippet from mailbox.log (with usernames/servernames changed)

2008-10-28 13:40:23,692 INFO [btpool0-10] [name=user@domain.com;mid=44;ip=10.0.0.151;ua=Zimbr aWebClient - FF3.0 (Win)/5.0.10_GA_2638.UBUNTU8_64;] soap - NoOpRequest
    2008-10-28 13:42:50,470 INFO [btpool0-0] [name=user@domain.com;mid=44;ip=10.0.0.151;ua=Zimbr aWebClient - FF3.0 (Win)/5.0.10_GA_2638.UBUNTU8_64;] soap - TestDataSourceRequest
    2008-10-28 13:42:50,470 INFO [btpool0-0] [name=user@domain.com;mid=44;ip=10.0.0.151;ua=Zimbr aWebClient - FF3.0 (Win)/5.0.10_GA_2638.UBUNTU8_64;] datasource - Testing DataSource: { id=TestId, type=imap, isEnabled=false, name=Test, host=mail.ourcompany.xx.org port=868, connectionType=ssl, username=user, folderId=-1 }
    2008-10-28 13:42:50,548 INFO [btpool0-0] [name=user@domain.com;mid=44;ip=10.0.0.151;ua=Zimbr aWebClient - FF3.0 (Win)/5.0.10_GA_2638.UBUNTU8_64;] datasource - Error connecting to mail store:
    com.sun.mail.iap.BadCommandException: A1 BAD parse error: excess characters at end of command
    at com.sun.mail.iap.Protocol.handleResult(Protocol.ja va:330)
    at com.sun.mail.imap.protocol.IMAPProtocol.idExtensio n(IMAPProtocol.java:309)
    at com.sun.mail.imap.IMAPStore.login(IMAPStore.java:5 80)
    at com.sun.mail.imap.IMAPStore.protocolConnect(IMAPSt ore.java:536)
    at javax.mail.Service.connect(Service.java:275)
    at com.zimbra.cs.datasource.ImapImport.connect(ImapIm port.java:926)
    at com.zimbra.cs.datasource.ImapImport.test(ImapImpor t.java:143)
    at com.zimbra.cs.datasource.DataSourceManager.test(Da taSourceManager.java:66)
    at com.zimbra.cs.service.mail.TestDataSource.handle(T estDataSource.java:109)
    at com.zimbra.soap.SoapEngine.dispatchRequest(SoapEng ine.java:411)
    at com.zimbra.soap.SoapEngine.dispatch(SoapEngine.jav a:268)
    at com.zimbra.soap.SoapEngine.dispatch(SoapEngine.jav a:160)
    at com.zimbra.soap.SoapServlet.doPost(SoapServlet.jav a:269)
    at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet .java:727)
    at com.zimbra.cs.servlet.ZimbraServlet.service(Zimbra Servlet.java:189)
    at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet .java:820)
    at org.mortbay.jetty.servlet.ServletHolder.handle(Ser vletHolder.java:487)
    at org.mortbay.jetty.servlet.ServletHandler$CachedCha in.doFilter(ServletHandler.java:1093)
    at org.mortbay.servlet.UserAgentFilter.doFilter(UserA gentFilter.java:81)
    at org.mortbay.servlet.GzipFilter.doFilter(GzipFilter .java:132)
    at org.mortbay.jetty.servlet.ServletHandler$CachedCha in.doFilter(ServletHandler.java:1084)
    at org.mortbay.jetty.servlet.ServletHandler.handle(Se rvletHandler.java:360)
    at org.mortbay.jetty.security.SecurityHandler.handle( SecurityHandler.java:216)
    at org.mortbay.jetty.servlet.SessionHandler.handle(Se ssionHandler.java:181)
    at org.mortbay.jetty.handler.ContextHandler.handle(Co ntextHandler.java:716)
    at org.mortbay.jetty.webapp.WebAppContext.handle(WebA ppContext.java:406)
    at org.mortbay.jetty.handler.ContextHandlerCollection .handle(ContextHandlerCollection.java:211)
    at org.mortbay.jetty.handler.HandlerCollection.handle (HandlerCollection.java:114)
    at org.mortbay.jetty.handler.HandlerWrapper.handle(Ha ndlerWrapper.java:139)
    at org.mortbay.jetty.handler.rewrite.RewriteHandler.h andle(RewriteHandler.java:350)
    at org.mortbay.jetty.handler.HandlerWrapper.handle(Ha ndlerWrapper.java:139)
    at org.mortbay.jetty.Server.handle(Server.java:313)
    at org.mortbay.jetty.HttpConnection.handleRequest(Htt pConnection.java:506)
    at org.mortbay.jetty.HttpConnection$RequestHandler.co ntent(HttpConnection.java:844)
    at org.mortbay.jetty.HttpParser.parseNext(HttpParser. java:644)
    at org.mortbay.jetty.HttpParser.parseAvailable(HttpPa rser.java:211)
    at org.mortbay.jetty.HttpConnection.handle(HttpConnec tion.java:381)
    at org.mortbay.io.nio.SelectChannelEndPoint.run(Selec tChannelEndPoint.java:396)
    at org.mortbay.thread.BoundedThreadPool$PoolThread.ru n(BoundedThreadPool.java:442)
    2008-10-28 13:42:50,548 INFO [btpool0-0] [name=user@domain.com;mid=44;ip=10.0.0.151;ua=Zimbr aWebClient - FF3.0 (Win)/5.0.10_GA_2638.UBUNTU8_64;] datasource - Test failed: com.sun.mail.iap.BadCommandException: A1 BAD parse error: excess characters at end of command
    I'm pretty much at a dead end.

Any help would be appreciated, as I really need to get this working.

alexkelly is offline Trained Alumni

I know I had an issue when connecting to a 4.5 box, I am guessing you are hitting the same bug: Bug 29653 – Can not mount an external IMAP account from ZCS 4.5.x

starcenterlr Guest

Quote Originally Posted by alexkelly View Post
    I know I had an issue when connecting to a 4.5 box, I am guessing you are hitting the same bug: Bug 29653 – Can not mount an external IMAP account from ZCS 4.5.x
    Hey Alex, thanks for your reply.

Are there any known work arounds for this bug?
    Last edited by starcenterlr; 10-30-2008 at 10:38 AM.

starcenterlr Guest

I've made sure it is indeed communicating correctly with my other mail server; it just refuses to add this account due to that error.

Anyone have any ideas on what to do? I really need this to work to finish the planned migration process to our 5.0.10 server.

starcenterlr Guest

No one has any idea?

phoenix is online now Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

If you are currently hitting the above mentioned bug then there's no workaround available. You would be far better using IMAPSYNC to move users to the new server rather than waiting for a fix.
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

starcenterlr Guest

Quote Originally Posted by phoenix View Post
    If you are currently hitting the above mentioned bug then there's no workaround available. You would be far better using IMAPSYNC to move users to the new server rather than waiting for a fix.
    Well, that's unfortunate, but thanks for the reply.

I'm having an issue with IMAPSYNC though, which is documented in this thread:

http://www.zimbra.com/forums/migrati...ate-plain.html

Any idea on what to do there?

Thanks in response for any replies.

Thread Information