Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Late Delivery of Messages

swu
    swu is offline Special Member

Red face Late Delivery of Messages

We have a few users who have mentioned that messages are appearing in their inbox late. For example, today a user showed me three messages that were sent yesterday afternoon but appeared in her inbox today (they do appear as unread). They appeared in the correct chronological position (based on the sent date/time stamp), but they didn't appear until today. Had she not gone back to look at messages that came in yesterday (prompted by a "hey I sent you that yesterday"), she would have missed them.

I checked the log files on our gateway box and the messages did come in yesterday and were relayed to our Zimbra box seconds later.

Any ideas? Anyone else running into the same issue? Is there some maint routine that needs to be run?

Thx for any input!

uxbod is offline Moderator

Have not seen that before but what is WebClient->Preferences->Mail->Check for new mail set to ? Are they using the web or another client ?

swu
    swu is offline Special Member

Red face

It's globally set for everyone @3 minutes. I checked the settings for a few of the affected folks and they are also set that way. We are all using the webclient, Firefox browsers (v2 and v3), running on WinXP boxes.

There is no consistency in the problem, other than it does happen there is no telling that it did happen. The only way is when you go back through your inbox knowing that you had read all of your emails only to find one, or a bunch of emails that are unread from a previous day and during a time when they know they would have read them - say it's 11am and you have read through all your emails, you check back through your inbox at 2pm and you see unread messages from 10a. They weren't in there at 11a, but they are now and they are in the correct chronological order.

It's easy to say "oh you just missed them", but this happens too often and a few of the users move or delete messages after reading so there inbox is basically empty. So for them, they are definitely coming in late.

Thx for any input.

matnor is offline Special Member

Quote Originally Posted by swu View Post
    It's globally set for everyone @3 minutes. I checked the settings for a few of the affected folks and they are also set that way. We are all using the webclient, Firefox browsers (v2 and v3), running on WinXP boxes.

There is no consistency in the problem, other than it does happen there is no telling that it did happen. The only way is when you go back through your inbox knowing that you had read all of your emails only to find one, or a bunch of emails that are unread from a previous day and during a time when they know they would have read them - say it's 11am and you have read through all your emails, you check back through your inbox at 2pm and you see unread messages from 10a. They weren't in there at 11a, but they are now and they are in the correct chronological order.

It's easy to say "oh you just missed them", but this happens too often and a few of the users move or delete messages after reading so there inbox is basically empty. So for them, they are definitely coming in late.

Thx for any input.
    Guys;
    I'm having this problem also..it happens to some of our users. The emails come into their mailboxes few days after it was sent (with unread status). Anything that can be done to resolve this issue?

Thanks.
    Matnor

uxbod is offline Moderator

Have you checked /var/log/zimbra.log to see when they actually did arrive ? Would you be able to post a screen shot of the webclient, with a late message showing, the headers and a extract from zimbra.log ?

Quote Originally Posted by uxbod View Post
    Have you checked /var/log/zimbra.log to see when they actually did arrive ? Would you be able to post a screen shot of the webclient, with a late message showing, the headers and a extract from zimbra.log ?
    See your PM. Thanks

phoenix is online now Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by matnor View Post
    See your PM. Thanks
    Requests for information should be posted in the forums not sent by PM unless specifically requested.
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

Quote Originally Posted by phoenix View Post
    Requests for information should be posted in the forums not sent by PM unless specifically requested.
    Sorry guys,
    I do not want everybody to see the email accounts/IPs details etc..I didn't PM him since the message was a bit too long.. :~(

Rgds;
    Matnor
    Last edited by matnor; 04-28-2009 at 06:39 AM.

phoenix is online now Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by matnor View Post
    Sorry guys,
    I do not want everybody to see the email accounts/IPs details etc..I didn't PM him since the message was a bit too long.. :~(

Rgds;
    Matnor
    Then change the information to something else before posting it.
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

y@w
    y@w is offline Moderator

You can also use zmmsgtrace to track the messages' arrival and delivery.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information