Thread: External Yahoo IM?

dijichi2 is offline OpenSource Builder & Moderator

Default External Yahoo IM?

Hi

As this silly forum software still blocks searches for rather useful terms like 'im' it's difficult to find what you want. So apologies if this is a stupid question.

I'm just starting to look into the IM features of ZCS. One simple thing I'm trying to do is speak to an external engineer over yahoo IM, but the only service I see is local. Is it possible/how do you enable IM for external yahoo? Is it also possible for other services? I'm sure in the past it had external services but looks like they've been disabled in recent versions.

Is there any movement on default IM setup for GAL users? At the moment to use it within a corporation you have to start adding buddies manually which seems non-intuitive for non-techies.

anyone? anyone?

(bueller? bueller?)

uxbod is offline Moderator

From the web-client if I right click on Friend-List I get "Log into External Service" and the one that is available is Yahoo! What version of ZCS are you running ?

Oh. Interesting, I hadn't seen that. That's about as intuitive as a not very intuitive thing. Anyway, my IM service list is blank, any idea how to provision it? I'm on 5.0.10.

uxbod is offline Moderator

Code:
    su - zimbra
    zmprov gc default | grep IM
    zimbraFeatureIMEnabled: TRUE
    zimbraPrefIMAutoLogin: TRUE
    zimbraPrefIMFlashIcon: TRUE
    zimbraPrefIMFlashTitle: TRUE
    zimbraPrefIMHideBlockedBuddies: FALSE
    zimbraPrefIMHideOfflineBuddies: FALSE
    zimbraPrefIMIdleStatus: away
    zimbraPrefIMIdleTimeout: 10
    zimbraPrefIMInstantNotify: TRUE
    zimbraPrefIMLogChats: TRUE
    zimbraPrefIMLogChatsEnabled: TRUE
    zimbraPrefIMNotifyPresence: TRUE
    zimbraPrefIMNotifyStatus: TRUE
    zimbraPrefIMReportIdle: TRUE
    zimbraPrefIMSoundsEnabled: TRUE
    what does yours show ?

mmorse is offline Moderator

Uxbod on NE & Dijichi2 is using FOSS
    ZimbraIMInterop directory in //depot/zcs/branch/ (internal p4) & /opt/zimbra/lib/ext/ on your server.

The betas & RC's had various combination's of YIM/MSN/AOL/Zimbra (some working some not).
    5.0.0 - To use YIM you had to download an extra package and install it on top of ZCS. This was due to licensing restrictions - as we were unable to redistribute some of that third party interop code.
    5.0.1 - For various reasons we removed MSN/AIM. Though MSN & YIM have their own interop deal so it will be interesting to see if that trickles down as motivation for inclusion again. Plus AOL rumors are rampant these days so who knows how AIM integration will play out. There was also a Zimbra local bug somewhere in here that prevented it's use.
    5.0.2 - I wasn't following all the bugs, but we might have had to move to a closed source interop bit for scaling reasons, and YIM was now integrated fully.
    5.0.3 - We re-factored interop to allow individual protocols as extensions, though I honestly haven't played with it myself lately.
    [snip]
    5.0.10 - NE has Zimbra/XMPP/YIM & FOSS has Zimbra/XMPP

The current 'bring AIM/MSN back' RFE (probably NE first until everything can go in the ZimbraIM directory) is Bug 22717 - Additional Providers

Quote Originally Posted by dijichi2 View Post
    Is there any movement on default IM setup for GAL users? At the moment to use it within a corporation you have to start adding buddies manually which seems non-intuitive for non-techies.
    If everyone was auto-added in large installs it might get nuts (big lists, status updates, some might not want to IM with everyone, etc) so there's: Bug 24213 - RFE: SOAP api or zmprov to allow admins to add buddies
    Last edited by mmorse; 10-23-2008 at 10:56 AM.

Thread Information