Thread: IMAP folder, sent items and copying across problem

skiv71 is offline Active Member

Default IMAP folder, sent items and copying across problem

Hi,

I'm just deploying zimbra and a user has pointed out a bug to me.

I'm currently porting accounts from an existing IMAP server to the Zimbra. To do this, i load the IMAP account as an external one, then copy emails, folders etc across into the relevant zimbra folders.

When one clicks between "Inbox" and "Sent" for the zimbra stores, the fields change between "From" and "To" as one would expect.

Problem is, for the IMAP accounts, this doesnt happen and the fields stay as "From" regardless of it being sent or inbox.

So from here, a problem arises when I copy emails from "Sent" [IMAP] to "Sent" [zimbra] because the zimbra store does change to the "To" field and all ported emails show the "To" address incorrectly (i.e. it shows the sender and not recipient).

Is this a known bug? Can i get around it?

Thanks

Neil

uxbod is offline Moderator

could you not use IMAPSync instead ?

tgx
    tgx is offline Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by skiv71 View Post
    Hi,

I'm just deploying zimbra and a user has pointed out a bug to me.

I'm currently porting accounts from an existing IMAP server to the Zimbra. To do this, i load the IMAP account as an external one, then copy emails, folders etc across into the relevant zimbra folders.

When one clicks between "Inbox" and "Sent" for the zimbra stores, the fields change between "From" and "To" as one would expect.

Problem is, for the IMAP accounts, this doesnt happen and the fields stay as "From" regardless of it being sent or inbox.

So from here, a problem arises when I copy emails from "Sent" [IMAP] to "Sent" [zimbra] because the zimbra store does change to the "To" field and all ported emails show the "To" address incorrectly (i.e. it shows the sender and not recipient).

Is this a known bug? Can i get around it?

Thanks

Neil
    If you cannot use IMAPsync, I'd recommend using Thunderbird to mount both mailboxes and move the files between accounts. This worked VERY well for me. I tested a number of clients to do the same thing. Some would trash the Received time on each email and set it to the time at which it was moved yet kept the email headers intact. Performance/speed also varied. I guess what I'm getting at is if you have to use client software to move it, use T-bird. T-bird can also be used to convert addressbooks as well which can then be imported into Zimbra. Good Luck!

Thread Information