Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: 4gb of RAM is too low for Zimbra with 250 users

  1. #1
    borispr is offline Active Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    36
    Rep Power
    7

    Default 4gb of RAM is too low for Zimbra with 250 users

    Centos 5 32bit and Zimbra 5.0.10
    Major amount of users connected via imap. Everything was fine until the amount of users grown up. Right now Thunderbird has connection problems (timeout), free gives result:
    total used free shared buffers cached
    Mem: 3368328 3233316 135012 0 150348 1115612

    When imap users have connection problem http users works without problem. When I do zmcontrol stop zmcontrol start it's about 600 mb of free memory which then decreases to 100 mb during imap users activity.
    Seems the narrow place is imap service.

    BTW ms exchange with such amount of users on a similar hardware works without problems.

  2. #2
    uxbod's Avatar
    uxbod is offline Moderator
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    8,016
    Rep Power
    24

    Default

    And the question is ? How large are peoples mailboxes what is the split between IMAP and WebClient ? Any additional software installed ? Any changes with respect to SpamAssassin on the default install ?

  3. #3
    borispr is offline Active Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    36
    Rep Power
    7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by uxbod View Post
    And the question is ? How large are peoples mailboxes what is the split between IMAP and WebClient ? Any additional software installed ? Any changes with respect to SpamAssassin on the default install ?
    No question, just to inform.
    90% uses imap, the default maximum mailbox size is 500 mb, about 10 users have 1-2-3 gb
    No additional software, SA default settings, about 20000-30000 incoming mails per day

  4. #4
    borispr is offline Active Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    36
    Rep Power
    7

    Default

    what imap server Zimbra is using?

  5. #5
    drhughes is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    50
    Rep Power
    7

    Default

    I find that vmstat is a better tool for determining the overall system performance. Memory issues can be tricky to track down. Your IMAP issue might be something such as file I/O slowing you down. This is where vmstat is a handy tool.

    Correct me if I'm wrong, but using free will always show your system having little RAM free. Linux will use all available RAM for activities such has file system caching.

  6. #6
    dijichi2 is offline OpenSource Builder & Moderator
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    1,176
    Rep Power
    11

    Default

    actually your memory stats show good free memory - the last number crudely represents your actual free memory, which is a third of your available. Also you're only showing having actually 3.2gb memory in total, where's the other 0.8gb gone?

    your problem is more likely to be number of imap threads available or some kernel parameter related to max open threads/connection/sockets/processes. i would have thought you'll find there are quite a few people running 400+ users on your sort of hardware without problem.

  7. #7
    Vladimir is offline Advanced Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    220
    Rep Power
    7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dijichi2 View Post
    Also you're only showing having actually 3.2gb memory in total, where's the other 0.8gb gone?
    32bit OS memory addressing issues?

  8. #8
    borispr is offline Active Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    36
    Rep Power
    7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dijichi2 View Post
    actually your memory stats show good free memory - the last number crudely represents your actual free memory, which is a third of your available. Also you're only showing having actually 3.2gb memory in total, where's the other 0.8gb gone?
    32 bit CentOS without PAE

    Quote Originally Posted by dijichi2 View Post
    your problem is more likely to be number of imap threads available or some kernel parameter related to max open threads/connection/sockets/processes. i would have thought you'll find there are quite a few people running 400+ users on your sort of hardware without problem.
    I have found in variables "zimbraImapNumThreads: 200"
    Might this is a reason. I have changed it to 400.

  9. #9
    iway is offline Partner (VAR/HSP)
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    432
    Rep Power
    6

    Default

    Does it work for you now?

  10. #10
    borispr is offline Active Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    36
    Rep Power
    7

    Default

    Yes, it helped.
    As I understand web users are also use this imap sockets. Total amount (web+imap) were more than 200. After increasing this value I have no problem.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. 250 users, Server adequate?
    By quietas in forum Installation
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 05-30-2008, 10:13 AM
  2. Issues...
    By timothyalangorman in forum Administrators
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 11-19-2007, 10:43 AM
  3. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-17-2007, 07:57 PM
  4. Open Relay Help & Telnet Security Issue
    By OfMacAndMen in forum Installation
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 07-10-2007, 07:51 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •