Thread: Distributed Administration?

deckard is offline Active Member

Default Distributed Administration?

I looked over the Multi Server PDF to see if any form of distributed administration was addressed, but came through empty handed. I plan to migrate multiple domains that we host on one iPlanet server to Zimbra. We're currently in the testing phase to see if Zimbra meets our requirements. The one key question for us regards mimicking the distributed administration in iPlanet. Our organization is made up of 33 domains who contract with us to provide them with mail. However, the last thing in the world we want to do is administer their users and mail lists. In iPlanet we can provide them with their own administrator that only controls their domain. So for example:

UN: westerly_admin@westerly.ourdomain.org

can only administer/view users and lists/groups in the westerly.ourdomain.org domain.

UN: easterly_admin@easterly.ourdomain.org

can only administer/view users and lists/groups in the easterly.ourdomain.org domain.

and...

UN: root_admin@central.ourdomain.org

can administer/view EVERYONE in all domains

It seems to me that this would be possible in Zimbra since you can create multiple admins. But I haven't seen anywhere to create access lists that restrict an admin to only be able to view their own domain's resources. If it's not possible to do this, I am considering running multiple Zimbra servers on Xen VMs (I'm currently testing Zimbra in a Fedora Core 4 Xen VM) and just giving each domain their own full Zimbra server. However, I'd like to avoid that since it will cost me a lot in RAM... I want to keep this all on one box since we really have a small number of mail users (about 2000) and I don't see actually dedicating multiple boxes for mail. Hence the Xen VM option. Any suggestions?

KevinH is offline Expert Member

We have delegated admin in the Network Edition. Are you running the Network Edition or the OSS Edition?
    Looking for new beta users -> Co-Founder of Acompli. Previously worked at Zimbra (and Yahoo! & VMware) since 2005.

deckard is offline Active Member

Default Delegated Admin

We are using the OSS edition right now. We're trying to cut costs, so unfortunately I don't think the Network Edition is in the cards right now. Our iPlanet support is $15,000 a year for nearly 2000 users. I think we'd be pretty much at the same price point with the Network Edition of Zimbra if not more. But that's a totally separate issue. I guess you've answered my question. There is no delegated admin in the OSS version, correct?

KevinH is offline Expert Member

Quote Originally Posted by deckard
    There is no delegated admin in the OSS version, correct?
    That's Correct.
    Looking for new beta users -> Co-Founder of Acompli. Previously worked at Zimbra (and Yahoo! & VMware) since 2005.

is offline Starter Member

Quote Originally Posted by KevinH View Post
    That's Correct.
    Will this ever change?

Aren´t the other extra features of the Net-Edition special enough? It would be so cool if a small ISP like me could offer the great Zimbra Open-Source Edition to my Clients at _no_ extra costs, but distributed administration is a key feature for ISPs
    Last edited by Pumakäfig; 12-26-2006 at 02:09 PM.

Thread Information