Thread: Load Balancing / Mailbox routing

mlcnm is offline Junior Member

Default Load Balancing / Mailbox routing

According to several wiki documents, real load balancing (multiple servers can manage the same mailbox with a central datapool) is not possible with Zimbra, since transactions are very IO bound and thus the mailboxes are tied to a certain Zimbra server.

In our existing setup we use nginx, which performs the login for IMAP and POP3, connects to the according backend of the mailbox and is just proxying the further requests and responses during IMAP and POP3 sessions. So far, we could retain this for Zimbra.

But with Zimbra, there is also the AJAX frontend, and I have no idea how to load balance it. To balance the load, the frontend would have to know to which backend to connect. It cannot know this before the login is done. But the login screen is provided by the Zimbra server.

So how can I setup up a central zimbra frontend URL like https://zimbra.my-isp.com which hides the real backends (like zmserver1, zimserver2 etc.) from the customer? This isn't only interesting for the AJAX frontend, but also for WebDav.
    Last edited by mlcnm; 10-09-2008 at 05:37 AM.

Artturi is offline Loyal Member

Well, maybe you could build something based on a single sign on system.
    You'd already know who is accessing some special page, and redirect from that.

Regards,
    Artturi

mlcnm is offline Junior Member

But even providing a single sign on page and redirecting to a URL like server2313.myp-isp.com looks unprofessional. I cannot image that I'm the first one asking for that. I thought there are big installations of Zimbra? What solution does Zimbra provide for this (not very special) case?

Klug is offline Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by mlcnm View Post
    In our existing setup we use nginx, which performs the login for IMAP and POP3, connects to the according backend of the mailbox and is just proxying the further requests and responses during IMAP and POP3 sessions. So far, we could retain this for Zimbra.
    There's a Zimbra-proxy module designed for that.

And guess what ?
    zimbra-proxy is actually nginx 8)

Quote Originally Posted by mlcnm View Post
    So how can I setup up a central zimbra frontend URL like https://zimbra.my-isp.com which hides the real backends (like zmserver1, zimserver2 etc.) from the customer? This isn't only interesting for the AJAX frontend, but also for WebDav.
    Have a look at the multi-servers installation documentation and do some search on zimbra-proxy on the forum.

What you want is exactly what zimbra-proxy was designed for : it balances (not load balances) the trafic to the good server depending on the user/password. And it works for the AJAX webUI, HTML webUI, pop3, imap4, Zimbra Mobile, etc.

And you can loadbalance/failover a pair of zimbra-proxy servers if needed.

Thread Information