Thread: [SOLVED] please help - zimbra is chewing all our bandwidth!

tomo89aus is offline Junior Member

Default [SOLVED] please help - zimbra is chewing all our bandwidth!

Hi Everyone,

I hope someone can help here pretty quickly.

Our internet connection is grinding to a halt with a tonne of traffic originating from our mail server. I know it is outbound SMTP traffic because our ISP has blocked us on their main SMTP server for suspected spamming and we're now relaying through one of their other servers.

We've had zimbra for months now without an issue but this has been intermittent over the past few days.

I can see that the email it is continually sending originated from a PC with Zimbra Desktop on it, so I've shutdown the zdesktop.exe service but its not made a difference.

There is nothing in the postfix queues and stopping postfix doesn't stop the traffic.

If I stop mailboxd, the traffic stops and everything goes back to normal, except obviously no one can send or recieve through Zimbra.

What could this possibly be? A bug in zimbra desktop? Is there an outbound SMTP queue I don't know about? Why would stopping postfix not stop the traffic?

Thankyou for any help you can offer.

Thomas

Can someone tell me what this is?
    /opt/zimbra/java/bin/java -Xms803m -Xmx803m -client -XX:NewRatio=2 -Djava.awt.headless=true -XX:MaxPermSize

Because if I kill the zimbra process thats running it, then voila our bandwidth is back. But it only stays away for a few minutes before another one starts and I have to kill it again.

Could a zimbra employee shed some light?

Ok so turns out one of the the zimbra desktop clients had an email in its outbox with 2 x 10MB .cad files as attachments. Seems zimbra didn't quite know what to do with them or our ISP was blocking it so the client kept re-sending. I deleted the email...told the staff member they need to zip the attachments and everything is fine again.

Thread Information